Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

sky at night who do you want to carry this on in memory of sir patrick moore

nathanhatton

I think it looks like Chris Linnot will be moving into this role as Pete and Paul doing the outside reports in the main. I don't think Brian Cox is the man for the job his talents are elsewhere I don't the standing staring into the distance is really a SAN type of thing. Not sure a have i got news for you style of different hosts will work. Where are they going to film it now?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i really do hope that S@N does continue, with so many regular contributers to the program i'm sure there could be an arrangement where presenters take turns to host shows if one presenter is unable to appear.

it would also be nice to see brian cox,brian may and even jon culshaw and dara o'brien chip in from time to time with ideas from their interests.

it really would be a total loss to the world tho if the bbc just binned S@N just because the legendary main figure was no longer there.

i'm sure SPM would agree with us all on that one;)

I have heard, but I can't verify the source, that Sir Patrick wanted Chris Lintott to take over as lead presenter in the event of his death. I can't confirm this though, as I do speak with Paul, but I think it would be a but disrespectful to ask.

I do hope they keep the current team, they all have the "science" of the subject and some do seem to exhibit the required eccentricities

So, looking at the way Auntie thinks and likes to recycle there, all ready contracted star catalogue (no pun intended)

You'll probably see Dara O'Briain fronting the show, He does seem to do quite a good job with

Science club, and I think he is also "trendy" enough to bring in the young and the new to the hobby

as well as maintain the current viewing public's interest.

I have to agree with the sentiment that, with respect, the beeb will leave the subject alone for a period

for frends and family to morn the passing of such a unique person

Andy

No one has mentioned Dara Obriain yet, I quite like his science club show and he'd probably be rather good. The existing team are fine (lintott's a bit awkward though) so maybe a 'Have I Got News For You' different presenter each month kinda thing.

I'm not sure the format requires someone to come in to 'replace' Sir Patrick. It seems to me Chris Lintott was being groomed to adopt a lot more of the narration and invoke discussion topics and my personal feeling is that he would be a great figurehead for the show. Ofc it is going to be difficult to make assumptions about the format it will take in the future.

Sir Patricks passing is a sad loss to the community as a whole and to the S@N team and his friends, he is certainly irreplaceable. From a selfish point of view I hope the show continues and thrives though.

I wonder if it should continue with S@N name, anyone who takes on the role will never be as good as SPM and will always be compared to him and probably found wanting. Should the S@N program end with SPM's passing? and perhaps a new program similar format, maybe ,with a new name then those chosen to present can make it their own. For me the S@N will never be the same without SPM, just a rambling thought

Gordon

As I see it, with Sir Patrick's health failing over recent months his role became more of a link between items presented by the others, in a way preparing us for what's happened. I see the programme continuing with either Chris or Pete being lead presenter or alternating each month. Any change to the format of the programme would, IMHO, be disastrous and would kill it off.

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2

Sir PM was S@N, to retain the previous format with a nominated "replacement" would, apart from anything else, be unfair to the individual as comparisons would be inevitable. IMO, a shared presentation would be a good opportunity for a successful relaunch.From the response to the sad recent events it has shown that there are two audiences served by the programme, the established amateurs and the non participant but interested general public.

I must say that over the past few months I could tell his time was near. He was becoming more difficult to understand, but to his credit he did try his best. Blimey he was 89 after all. The Beeb must have seen this for themselves as they had his co-presenters doing more so as to take the pressure off Sir Patrick. He was becoming more of a link to the other aspects of the programme. In any case the unthinkable has happened, but he will leave an indellable mark that few would be able to live up to anyway.

Sir PM was S@N, to retain the previous format with a nominated "replacement" would, apart from anything else, be unfair to the individual as comparisons would be inevitable. IMO, a shared presentation would be a good opportunity for a successful relaunch.From the response to the sad recent events it has shown that there are two audiences served by the programme, the established amateurs and the non participant but interested general public.

Peter, you make an excellent point, it would be best if it continues with a "group hosting" format

Dara O'Briain. Culshaw can appear too but only if he promises not to do any impressions. Personally I think they might just bring in somebody we don't know, or have hardly seen much of before. Who had seen Patrick Moore before he presented Sky @ Night? I don't expect them to find someone quite as eccentric, but there are plenty of enigmatic and enthusiastic amateurs out there who would be great at the job.

Chris has been Patricks co-presenter for some time now,even when Patrick was in fairly good health,it was just his mobility problems that prevented him on doing outside broadcasts.Patrick liked Chris,since meeting him at Torbay,s Grammer school.and i think Chris has done a sterling job in Helping Patrick over this period.

ts really not a case of who can replace Patrick,because no one can,The Sky at Night was (is)Sir Patrick Moore.

But i think Patrick would want Chris,Pete,Paul,&Chris to carry on the same Format,and i for one will still be glued to it.

I think the great man would aprove.

Mick.

I think that the Sky at Night is Sir Patrick Moore's show and that the BBC should create a new show in its place. Maybe making Stargazing Live a monthly programme?

Can't agree with that Ganymede sorry, SPM devoted his life to Astronomy and a large part of that was with the S@N. I can't think for a second that he would want things altering because he has passed away, indeed it is his legacy.

I think there are many valid points as to who should sit alongside the spot he left vacant, because surely no-one will replace him. But to end the show, never.

Baz

Archived