SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

sky at night who do you want to carry this on in memory of sir patrick moore

nathanhatton

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure Brian Cox would do a great job, if he was willing and was asked.

For me, I'd like to see Pete Lawrence, one of several who made frequent appearances on the program take over.

Here's hoping it does continue, whoever is the main presenter.

Regards, Ed.

Although I can fully appreciate the sentiment, personally I think it's a bit soon to be even thinking about it.

Yes Shane, that's a very fair comment. But programs have to be planned in advance, so Auntie Beeb needs to come up with a replacement lead presenter if S @ N is to continue without a gap. I'm guessing that the great man would want the program to continue without delay.

Regards, Ed.

I am sure that was certainly not your intention and I'm not upset either, hope nobody else is - it's a valid topic so don't worry. I just think that there's quite a bit of time to think about this and perhaps after his funeral might be the place to start but not yet - just my own view though :smiley:

Yes Shane, that's a very fair comment. But programs have to be planned in advance, so Auntie Beeb needs to come up with a replacement lead presenter if S @ N is to continue without a gap. I'm guessing that the great man would want the program to continue without delay.

Regards, Ed.

I agree Ed, for sure. as I see it, January will already be 'in the can' and I am sure that Lintott et al could hold the fort for one episode at least.

I am sure that the Beeb already have a successor in line, after all, it's not like Patrick's illness was sudden, I am sure there were contingency plans made by the Producers, likely in consultation with Patrick himself because that was the type of man he was, methodical, organised and always planning for tomorrow.

In due course I am sure Brian Cox will be asked to fill in, although in the long term I am not sure the program needs a full time presenter, why not have guest presenters as they do with the RI Christmas lectures. We have plenty of talent in this country who could present the show, in fact i think it is now about time it was made 60 minutes long and at a regular time. This would mean the BBC could actually have presenters from all over the world doing shows, so you could have a show from the control room of Cero Tololo for example, so we can all get a feel for what it's like..Patrick never wanted to present a longer show partly due to his health issues, but now that the show needs a face lift because of circumstances, lets make it a show that Patrick would have been proud of and loved.

to even try and replace Sir Patrick Moore is unthinkable and would be a huge mistake if they tried, i hope they continue on in the same fashion with the team he had built up over the years, most where hand picked and nurtured by him for i can only assume this very reason.

to pick someone even from Sir Patricks own team i think would be the End of the sky at night as we know it, what a fitting Memorial it would be to just soldier on in his absence and hope he continues on in spirit.

i think it's prudent to give Sir Patricks team, friends & family time to morn their loss before talk of any such talks take palce.

I agree that it's a bit early, but I do like the idea of having a number of different presenters, this might bring a new dimension the program, I don't mind Brian Cox, but I do find him a bit saccharine; I could cope with him once in a while :icon_jokercolor:

personally, not Brian Cox. I'd like to see the three other guys, Pete,Chris and Chris(i think) continue and present it. I think they would do their best to keep the format as is. Reguardless of whatever format it takes it won't, can't ever be the same again. I understand your sentiment Moonshane and I mean no disrespect. Only concern for the great mans "baby".

Scott

I agree Ed, for sure. as I see it, January will already be 'in the can' and I am sure that Lintott et al could hold the fort for one episode at least.

I think Chris Lintott posted here a couple of days ago that next month's programme had already been recorded.

From my limited knowledge of PM I don't think his memory would be offended by anything that happened to the programme as long as it continued to engage astronomers and continued to treat the subject as a science worthy of serious discussion.

What I think I'd like to see is two separate programmes, one of which could be broadcast earlier in the evening and perhaps have a more "pop" science angle and cater a bit more for to beginners. schoolchildren and people who are casually interested, with a second more "hard science" programme later on perhaps exploring the themes of the first programme in more depth. There are often times when watching the current programme where I think "I'd like to know more about that. I wish they'd spent more time on it" or "If that were just made a bit easier to get into my children would love to see it".

James

I just think that there's quite a bit of time to think about this and perhaps after his funeral might be the place to start but not yet - just my own view though :smiley:

Quite right.

PS Please don't ask about the future - there'll be time to think about that later.

personally, not Brian Cox. I'd like to see the three other guys, Pete,Chris and Chris(i think) continue and present it. I think they would do their best to keep the format as is. Reguardless of whatever format it takes it won't, can't ever be the same again. I understand your sentiment Moonshane and I mean no disrespect. Only concern for the great mans "baby".

Scott

don't get me wrong, I completely agree that this needs discussing and agree on the whole with the consensus etc. just not yet. my view is my view though and I totally respect everyone else's right to have one also :smiley:

My personal view is that the programme has for some time been a team effort, has worked perfectly well as such, and should continue in the same vein.

I also feel strongly that Brian Cox's pieces to camera are not to my taste. As a member of a discussion team he comes across very well, but as a presenter his delivery changes, and I find him very off-putting..

I don't think Brian Cox is the right person for this job. I think this could be a great opportunity for the team who have been on S@N for some time to tap into the wealth of amateur talent to be found around the country - looking at sites like this and observatories for the right people.

Brian Cox would be my first choice to either present or co-present with any of the current chaps who are regular presenters

"On 6 March 2011, Cox appeared as a guest at Patrick Moore's 700th episode anniversary of The Sky At Night. He has said that he is a lifelong fan of the programme, and that it helped inspire him to become a physicist" source wikipedia.

He (BC) has done much to inspire and increase the interest in a great number of people about the universe and science in general. Granted his presentation skills might not be to everyones taste, but I think with him at the helm it will help grow the programme and increase interest in our hobby for a long time to come.

I do like Cox but I also he can only help build and strengthen SaN. I think SPM would approve very much of his appointment if it happens.

Baz

Don't get me wrong. I do like Brian Cox and find his delivery excellent, but I don't think they should use him. I think they should keep the other presenters Chris's Lintott and North, Pete Lawrence and Paul Abel. Perhaps rotate them around a bit or have their own little spot on each episode. Hey it's only for 20 minutes once a month. Whoever the Beeb finally choose they should be respectful to the Legacy laid out by Sir Patrick and also respectful of the loyal following of the programme. I just hope they don't mess with it and try and update/modernise it too much otherwise they will kill it. If it ain't broke then don't fix it....

to even try and replace Sir Patrick Moore is unthinkable and would be a huge mistake if they tried, i hope they continue on in the same fashion with the team he had built up over the years, most where hand picked and nurtured by him for i can only assume this very reason.

to pick someone even from Sir Patricks own team i think would be the End of the sky at night as we know it, what a fitting Memorial it would be to just soldier on in his absence and hope he continues on in spirit.

i think it's prudent to give Sir Patricks team, friends & family time to morn their loss before talk of any such talks take palce.

Sorry BSG but they do not have any choice but to replace SPM, and for the same reason they cannot continue with the same team, SPM is not available any more and the team can no longer include him so is not the same team.

At one point you say

i hope they continue on in the same fashion with the team he had built up over the years

Then

to pick someone even from Sir Patricks own team i think would be the End of the sky at night as we know it

So do you want someone from the team or not ?

The program has 2 options, disappear from TV or change with a new presenter or presentation team but SPM is unfortunately no longer to be part of whatever comes next. I would guess they have some idea for what next, if the intention is to keep it going. I would expect a change of format and content if it is continued.

Cannot see it being Brian Cox or Brian May, they have other things that must take precidence. Making a guest appearance at times yes but not regular.

How about they get Jonathan Ross he did one of the Star Gazing Live programs? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Archived