SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M42 and 43 again

MartinB

3 clear nights last week producing over 10 hours of data in 15 min subs. had to chuck the final night because there must have been some high haze which threw up bad halos in the processing.

Scope: Tak FSQ with 0.78 reducer giving F3.8

Camera: SX M26c

IDAS filter

28x15mins

Captured, calibrated and combined in Maxim

processed (several times!) in PS

This is the sort of image you can faff around with forever when processing especially the dust which came out very red, maybe that's how it should be but I've toned it down a bit.

post-148-0-88917400-1355496150_thumb.jpg

Lovely image Martin, and I also agree about the processing. I am trying hard to get an aacceptable image of the Horsehead and don't know how much red should be in there, after all, do any of us really know what it looks like.

So interesting comparing similar shots with different equipment(and a different sky) Must be nice doing it at f3.8. I do find it a liitle hard to look at in portrait. To me the running man should be standing up. I totaly understand the faffing around with, i must have done my 400mm orion shot about 5 or more times before being happy with it.

Although this is quite a dark site, I find an LP filter (CLS CCD) pretty much essential. Makes a huge difference.

Yes, my sky is mag 4/5 and using an LP filter is a no brainer, I really rate the IDAS filter esp for OSC. Gives a faint cyan cast which is easily sorted.

Archived