SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hello everyone!

JD75

One more 'o hai!' post in this forum from another newcomer here. I stumbled upon these pages a few weeks back and have been lurking for a bit soaking up the information and figured it was finally time to say hello.

Been curious about astronomy for a number of years but the realisation over the last few months that my garden is actually pretty dark with very little light pollution has finally inspired me to do something about it. I've been out there most clear nights since, just peering up at what's happening and even trying a few photos with my camera with, of course, varying degrees of success. It's quite a nice surprise to see the amount of movement that happens in a 30 second exposure :rolleyes:

I don't have a scope yet, unless you count one of the 'toy' ones I got recently as a present. It's actually ok with the longer eyepiece (25mm I think) and you get a nice view of the moon with it. Pretty sure it picked out a couple of pinpricks of light off the moons of Jupiter too, but don't quote me on that. Only thing is just don't breathe on it though as it wobbles like mad! Still, I've been having fun with it alongside Stellarium and just basically looking up to see what's about. Very disappointed last night though as the sky was completely clouded over, so no meteors could be seen.

It's been interesting reading the posts about gear on here too as knowing less than nothing about optics, it's all a black art to me hence no rush to buy anything. I've signed up to a short course run by a local telescope shop (in Frome if anyone knows it) as I figured that's a good way to learn a bit more and hopefully have a go, weather permitting. But I've no doubt I'll be bombarding the place with equipment questions at some point in the future, so beware :grin:

Until then, it's nice to 'meet' everyone!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well I dont know if this is the right place ??? lol I have been trying to get into the forum lounge I can't seem to open the door in order to intrduce myself and what I am doing here .Phil. Is my name I am looking for advice on how to set up a good CCD cmera for my Meade LS6 I do not have what you call a super dupper telescope but it is a start.... I was going to ask if anyone can point me in the right direction on this CCD camera (cost) no more than 500.00 dollars with excellent results and of course the software for it Brand name-- USB Connected-- easy to follow instructions and a good photo at the end of it all Can anyone pint me in the right direction much appriciated .... Phil..

It is very tempting to just crash in and get something and I'm rarely this sensible, but this is a whole field I know next to nothing about and the toys are quite expensive so best I get all studious and try and learn a bit more before splashing out.

...or at least that's the theory. Not 100% it'll last though!

Hi JD and welcome to the forum. With reference to your course, I think you might be referring to Charles at MC2 who I have met a number of times and he will certainly get you up and running regarding kit and the night sky. I believe his wife helps organise the 'SPOG' group (Salisbury Plain Observing Group) which is very popular and has a number of regular attendees who can also help you advance your knowledge too. There is nothing like getting out there and giving astronomy a try and associating with the above people will certainly help you with the practical details and knowledge base.

Clear skies for now and enjoy the forum

James

Hi JD and welcome to the forum. With reference to your course, I think you might be referring to Charles at MC2 who I have met a number of times and he will certainly get you up and running regarding kit and the night sky. I believe his wife helps organise the 'SPOG' group (Salisbury Plain Observing Group) which is very popular and has a number of regular attendees who can also help you advance your knowledge too. There is nothing like getting out there and giving astronomy a try and associating with the above people will certainly help you with the practical details and knowledge base.

Clear skies for now and enjoy the forum

James

Yup, that's the place! Really nice little shop that and I'm very much looking forward to the course. He said his wife gives the course and if the weather permits, there'll be some observing thrown in too. Should be a good time and as you say, a great chance to meet people and ask some questions. Someone once told me that you should always listen to the more experienced person as chances are they've learned from the mistake you're about to make :grin:

And hello from me too JD. Good approach to the hobby so far! You're a better and more patient person than me ;)

So far as questions go, ask away and you will get a plethora of good answers. The learning curve can be steep to start with, but the knowledge on here is very helpful and makes things a lot easier.

Clear skies :)

Archived