Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What should I realistically expect to see with my SkyWatcher 130p AZ GOTO....?

Bought s/h off ebay (!), barely used, and is my first scope after using bins. When I looked at Jupiter this morning, I could not make out any detail whatsoever, juist saw a white, slightly fuzzy, blob with three moons. Started with 25mm lens, then 10mm, and finally x4. No real improvement at all. Couldn't work out how to use the Barlow lens (! One end has an apparently fixed (?) plastic cover with a tiny hole offset from the centre, whereas I thought this was simply like a convertor lens used in photography ie inserted in the eyepiece tube and eyepiece).

So disappointed, am seriously contemplating selling up and cutting my losses, but before I do, is anyone able to give me some idea of what I should realistically expect to be able to see, please?

I live on the outskirts of Doncaster, and thus suffer from the dreaded light pollution most of us do, but as a caravanner I thought this 'scope would be reasonably useable for when we get out into the countryside.

Am I doing something wrong, or just suffering from 'budget' lenses? If the latter what should I buy (vwery limited budget, sadly) and what improvements should I expect

At the time of observing I merely used the motor to get around, not having been able yet to align the scope.

Any advice/comments welcome,

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A telescope with this focal length will not give you an eyeful of any planet but the key is to let your eye 'settle' on the object after you have achieved the best focus and then you will start to see the fine detail. Magnification does not automatically get you a better view as so much depends on the seeing conditions (how much the atmosphere is making objects appear to shimmer) and high magnification only makes things worse if the seeing conditions are not good.

Your telescope should allow you to see Jupiter's main 4 moons as clear pinpricks of light and careful observation will reveal two bands that encircle the planet either side of its equator.

As for what else you'll be able to see, the answer is LOADS! Try not to get too hung up on higher magnifications at first though, train your eye to see things at lower magnification and then, when the conditions are right, pop in the 10mm eyepiece.

The Barlow lens should look a little like a long eyepiece with a lens at the bottom and a receptacle to take an eyepiece at the top.

Hi, Iv a Skywatcher 130 & managed to gett his

Capture 12_9_2012 7_44_02 PM.bmp

by putting a £5 webcam without its lense into the scopes focuser (bit complicated but im just trying to show u the great things ur scope can do with a bit of research) you wont see jupiter like this thru the actual scope but it will be like that on the laptop screen) you've got a great starter scope & if you put some time into it, im sure you'll see you bought quite well. :smiley:

Bought s/h off ebay (!), barely used, and is my first scope after using bins. When I looked at Jupiter this morning, I could not make out any detail whatsoever, juist saw a white, slightly fuzzy, blob with three moons. Started with 25mm lens, then 10mm, and finally x4. No real improvement at all. Couldn't work out how to use the Barlow lens (! One end has an apparently fixed (?) plastic cover with a tiny hole offset from the centre, whereas I thought this was simply like a convertor lens used in photography ie inserted in the eyepiece tube and eyepiece).

So disappointed, am seriously contemplating selling up and cutting my losses, but before I do, is anyone able to give me some idea of what I should realistically expect to be able to see, please?

I live on the outskirts of Doncaster, and thus suffer from the dreaded light pollution most of us do, but as a caravanner I thought this 'scope would be reasonably useable for when we get out into the countryside.

Am I doing something wrong, or just suffering from 'budget' lenses? If the latter what should I buy (vwery limited budget, sadly) and what improvements should I expect

At the time of observing I merely used the motor to get around, not having been able yet to align the scope.

Any advice/comments welcome,

It's also a case of leaving it for 40 minutes or so too cool down. I've used my 200p straight away without leaving it too cool and the viewing is blurry, over exposed and not at all what I know what it should look like.

Bare with it and see what happens. Don't get too deep with high magnification. Your scope will be limited to a certain mag and if you go over that it will just be a mashed blur.

Start with a low mag and work your way up to find out limitations of your scope and don't forget, the weather and turbulence has a great effect of how things look.

Stay with it and upgrade when you've really found the limitations!

Tom.

As said by Steve magnification does not help.

There can be a few reasons and most probably a combination that may be the cause.

The 10mm eyepiece is unfortunately not great,

The barlow is also not great,

The 25mm is usually fair.

To an extent you need some magnification as otherwise you collect too much light and the image is too bright and washed out. I would suggest you need 60-100x in general. It is however a guess, but I suspect that with the 25mm the image is too bright and so you see no detail. You would have about 26x magnification with the 25mm eyepiece.

Assuming the scope is f/5 that means your scope is 650mm focal length so you want an eyepiece around 8-10mm for 65x or more.

So first assuming you have a poor 10mm you should look perhaps at something better, the obvious to me is the Vixen plossl at £30 say the 8mm, if the short eye relief is OK.

Check out the Astro Buy and Sell site of the possibility of a used one also. FLO sell the Vixens.

Next is the set up of the scope, as you bought it used it could need collimating (getting eyepiece, secondary and primary all lined up correctly). This would need you reading about it, getting a collimator and then doing it. It is really a case of getting informed, sitting down and not rushing. It can be done inside during the day so that is when to have a go. Alternatively locate a club around Doncaster and see if anyone can help. If the collimation is out then the image will be poor and somewhat indistinct.

If you were looking last night, Dec 12, there was high wispy cloud that allowed Jupiter to be seen but it was always indistinct.

What the thing with the offset hole is I cannt think, just about everything in Astro gear is central not offset. Someone else may have an idea.

Stupid as it may seem, how clean is the eyepiece?

Have a look at www.astro-baby.com for information on collimation, she mentions a collimation cap that is cheap to make and could at least indicate the state of the scope. Also it is information. Have a read of what you might have to do before you do anything, and what it is that you are aiming to accomplish.

If/when collimation is good then it then comes to another eyepiece as the next item to eliminate.

You have a reasonable first scope, there is however the fact that you do not know the state of it in regards of collimation.

Couldn't work out how to use the Barlow lens (! One end has an apparently fixed (?) plastic cover with a tiny hole offset from the centre, whereas I thought this was simply like a convertor lens used in photography ie inserted in the eyepiece tube and eyepiece).

I thought the same thing with the Barlow... The cover you think is fixed isn't... You need to give it a good pull and it should come off! It took me about a week to work that out! I kept trying to unscrew it, but saw the lens in the bottom of the lens cap and realised that that wasn't right... Eventually, I figured it out!

Others have commented on collimation and lenses etc, so I won't offer anything else on that. They've got you covered there!

My scope is an f/5, and a 130SLT. I'm not sure how similar the scopes are but given that the aperture is the same, I guess we should be able to see similar things. I did get a very good view of Jupiter, but it wasn't with the stock EP's. Whilst they are ok, I did invest in a couple of really good EP's: Baader Hyperion... They aren't cheap (£98 each), but the 13mm, coupled with a 3x Barlow gave me the best view of Jupiter I've ever had. I could clearly see the bands, and the colour. I was most impressed, even with the 13mm with a 2x Barlow. Keep at it and good luck!

Clear skies!

Well, thanks for all your comments - most helpful!

Some comments I should make to clarify:-

First of all, I was observing at around 5.15am today (Thurs 13th), on a frosty night with clear skies, which I felt should be just about perfect. However, I was viewing through an open upstairs window with the scope inside the house, so there may well have been some convection currents from the room upsetting things somewhat - I'd not intended observing, but having got up for a cuppa and seen the stars, I couldn't resist a peek! It was the first time I'd tried the scope out under half decent conditions, and I just briefly wanted to see what its capabilities were - probably not the ideal way to do it at all, but it's given food for thought! As you all suggest, I'll spend a bit more time with it before deciding to dispose or not!

I'd be happy if I could see Jupiter like your photo, Nephilim, but am still not sure what to expect on the 'scope 'as is' - I like the idea of the webcam, though! Maybe there's some scope for further experimenting (pardon the pun!)

Very good points made by Capricorn - I was aware of the possible need for collimation, but again hadn't got around to it! Appreciate the link to AstroBaby too.

How would I know if the image is too bright using the x25, as you suggest, and is there any way this can be corrected eg with some sort of filter?

Colimation is very important - I bought the same OTA second hand and was disappointed with the views until I had a go at collimation. Astro Baby's site is good and there are some good videos on You Tube - look for Astronomy Shed.

Hope this helps

Paul

I've tried observing through my bedroom window, it just doesn't work. Your window isn't designed for astro use!

It's well worthwhile trying again outside at about 11/12 that's when I find Jupiter is best for me! Nearer its zenith is the best so technically the later you leave it the better really.

Definitely worth while getting a collimating device (the Cheshire ones seem the most popular)

Keep it up and keep trying.

Tom.

Thanks for solving my Barlow problem , Rockrae78 - it did indeed come off as you suggested!

Happy to help! I only wish I'd known about this site when I first got my scope... It would have saved me a whole heap of problems, frustrations, and many many nights of swearing!

I do agree with all the others though in respect to viewing from inside... It simply doesn't work! Try outside with the same set up and I bet you see an improvement! Get yourself a comfy chair and sit at the eyepiece... You'd be surprised how much more you will see the longer you keep looking! I did this when trying to see the Ring Nebula... Just looked like a grey smudge at first, and after about 10 minutes of looking down the eyepiece and I could actually see the ring shape! No colour - it was still grey, but very cool nonetheless!

As for what else you'll be able to see, the answer is LOADS!

Yep, second that.

I have a 5" short tube refractor (similar light grasp) and have managed about 250 DSOs. Now admittedly, most of them are feint smudges but given a half decent sky you should be able to see quite a lot with a bit of practice and persistence.

Granted, distant fuzzy objects are not easy to find initially. Once you get your eye in, there are some treats out there, even with your aperture. M81 and M82 galaxies in Ursa Major are a fine pair in the same field of view. The Ring nebula, the Saturn nebula, the brighter globular and open clusters can all be rewarding to name a few.

Saturn and Jupiter will yield quite a bit too. I have seen four moons of each planet and some banding on Jupiter (and planets are not so hot in my scope).

Stick at it. Pick a few targets, do a little research in finding them and go for it.

Good luck!

Well, thanks for all your comments - most helpful!

Some comments I should make to clarify:-

First of all, I was observing at around 5.15am today (Thurs 13th), on a frosty night with clear skies, which I felt should be just about perfect. However, I was viewing through an open upstairs window with the scope inside the house, so there may well have been some convection currents from the room upsetting things somewhat - I'd not intended observing, but having got up for a cuppa and seen the stars, I couldn't resist a peek! It was the first time I'd tried the scope out under half decent conditions, and I just briefly wanted to see what its capabilities were - probably not the ideal way to do it at all, but it's given food for thought! As you all suggest, I'll spend a bit more time with it before deciding to dispose or not!

I'd be happy if I could see Jupiter like your photo, Nephilim, but am still not sure what to expect on the 'scope 'as is' - I like the idea of the webcam, though! Maybe there's some scope for further experimenting (pardon the pun!)

Very good points made by Capricorn - I was aware of the possible need for collimation, but again hadn't got around to it! Appreciate the link to AstroBaby too.

How would I know if the image is too bright using the x25, as you suggest, and is there any way this can be corrected eg with some sort of filter?

Hi again, i've only had my scope for a couple of months and struggled with it a first, I just did plenty of research on what works best with what etc, you'll find alot of great advice here as I think most people will have been in the same boat at the start. If u want to try the webcam & have a laptop then it's fairly straight forward ( tho I asked plenty of questions here) the software to capture the image and the stacking software are free downloads. If you'd like to know a bit more then feel free 2 message me & i'll help as much as I can & maybe it'll help in getting u a bit more determined :smiley: ) Good luck

Steve.

i'D JUST LIKE TO SAY A BIG THANKYOU TO EVERYONE WHO'S BEEN KIND ENOUGH TO OFFER THEIR ADVICE AND COMMENTS - IT'S REALLY GREAT TO KNOW THAT THERE ARE SO MANY FOLKS OUT THERE WHO UNDERSTAND A BEGINNER'S PROBLEMS AND CARE ENOUGH TO OFFER HELP.

Thanks again, I'll persevere with it!

i'D JUST LIKE TO SAY A BIG THANKYOU TO EVERYONE WHO'S BEEN KIND ENOUGH TO OFFER THEIR ADVICE AND COMMENTS - IT'S REALLY GREAT TO KNOW THAT THERE ARE SO MANY FOLKS OUT THERE WHO UNDERSTAND A BEGINNER'S PROBLEMS AND CARE ENOUGH TO OFFER HELP.

Thanks again, I'll persevere with it!

Whenever you have any problems we'll try and help you out!

Enjoy.

Tom.

Hey, I have this scope and I have had it for 3 1/2 years and to be honest I have been very happy with the scope. I have seen the bands on jupiter, the moons and even seen the GRS on the 10mm EP with the scope. I also used the barlow with the 10mm and got good views. Ive seen some DSO's as well with it. Saturn I could make out the rings and the slight gap between the rings.

This scope have been very good and ive managed to use it for 15 sec exposures to capture DSO's using a modified webcam. Just remember you aint going to see the detail at the eyepiece which you see on images on this forum or in magazines as the eye just dont pick out that level of detail.

But you can get some great views with this scope.

Hi Silverman,

I have the 130/900, no goto just motor drive, and have had it for over a year now and found it to be a great starter scope. As stated previously check the the collimation before considering getting rid. Just dont expect hubble type veiws, planets will be bright discs with faint detail and DSO fuzzies will be just that, fuzzy grey patches, but when you find one you will get a buzz.

I've attached some photos I've taken on my webcam, admitedly they're slightly better than what you'll see physically but you'll get the jist.

All the best

Sully

post-17804-0-15390100-1355442315_thumb.p

post-17804-0-99826600-1355442329_thumb.p

post-17804-0-80936000-1355442342_thumb.p

i too found Jupiter a great disappointment, initially. I then read about how fairly modest filters can enhance the image. This year for the first time I saw the cloud belts on the planets surface. Now this hobby is full of advice the joy with that is you take what you need and discard the rest, I was advised to use red filters; don't because they really don't help. Try blue, because for me that worked just fine.

viewing from in a house even with the window open is never going to offer good views especially when its really warm inside and real cold outside.if your scope was outside for 30 mins therefore fully down to temp,the views would be miles better.if you cant see any detail through a lens,adding a barlow will usually make it even worse-more so with bad seeign conditions.if your new to scopes i would suggest not bothering with the barlow for the first few viewing sessions until you get used to it all.i would see if there are some people in your local area and try and hook up on a meet and see what others do.you may also get someone with the same scope for comparison purposes

I would recommend you buy a moon filter. The moon is very bright when viewed through a telescope, and can ruin your 'night vision'. I always use one, and the moon is always the last thing on my list to observe.

I have a set of the coloured filters and I would advise you to save your money. I haven't really used them. There is a guide on here that explains the best use for the different colours:

Below is what I see through my Celestron Astromaster 130eq - I do see the two main bands after a few minutes of observing, however I believe that filters aid in seeing more contrast. The atmosphere strips away most of the coloured light, however through use of a web camera and stacking software like registax it's possible to retrieve colour and more detail.

I've attached what I have managed to get from Jupiter with a decent webcam after recording and stacking using the same aperture you have.

post-21611-0-56169900-1355498434_thumb.j

post-21611-0-13061000-1355498449_thumb.j

Yes, I found that guide very good too. It's really informative, especially for newbies like us. I too didn't know what filter to use for different objects. I've since made a chart from it, indicating which of the filters I have are best for each planet. Jupiter and Uranus are the only planets I've viewed since seeing this list, but Uranus was just too small to see any detail using any of the filters. I ended up looking at it unaided. And that was just using the stock EP's. I've not seen it since to see what it looks like in a better EP.

With regards to Jupiter, I've viewed this many, many times and it was only in the last two weeks that I found the best combination for me and my scope. I was so taken with the detail I could see without a filter, that I didn't even bother to try any of them, and instead just sat staring through the EP for about half an hour just admiring the planet's beauty!

I really hope the weather improves for you, and you get a chance to try out your scope again soon - using the advice you've gained on this forum. I really have found the advice I've been given invaluable. And when you do finally get to see something you've always wanted to see, in more detail that you have before, it's a real magical moment. I've been looking up at the sky since I was a little girl, and I only got my first scope this year (I'm now 34!)... Never before I have been transported back to feeling like a little girl the way that I was the first time I looked through my scope and saw Venus. I didn't even know it was Venus! I was literally trying to align my scope and was looking for 3 bright stars to start the process. I lined up the star with the starpointer, looked through the EP and I swear I did a little scream! I've been hooked ever since. Admittedly, this year hasn't been great with the weather - in fact, the vast majority of the sessions I've had have been since November! But everything I've seen over the past 6 weeks has been worth the cost of the scope and the EPs and then some!

Archived