Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Captured on a 5D MkII shooting 20 second exposures.

The 'smoke' from the dying Geminid meteor dispersed over a period of 6 minutes. The initial meteor trail was at 02:11 UTC on 13/12/12

Pretty cool. DId you capture this Kev.?

yes :) 2:11 this morning :)

same Geminid from last night using two different cameras,

post-4594-0-25831300-1355383180_thumb.jppost-4594-0-89464800-1355383184_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Thats a pretty cool little film Kev, I've never seen that before.

That's is amazing. How did you manage to capture them?

I seen one at about 23:44 going towards Perseus.

Lovely sight. Only lasted about 1-2 seconds but was worth it.

Tom.

Very nice :)

I wish I could get out tonite and set the camera up but I can't, going to miss it :(

That's is amazing. How did you manage to capture them?

I seen one at about 23:44 going towards Perseus.

Lovely sight. Only lasted about 1-2 seconds but was worth it.

Tom.

Two Dslrs shooting continuously using remote releases. One with a fisheye lens shooting at 30 seconds @5.6 iso 1600, the other with a 24 mm lens shooting at 20 seconds @2.8 iso 800

Even on continuous shooting and staggered timing there were a number of missed meteors because both shutters happened to be shut lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Blame Apple for the typos and me for the content

Two Dslrs shooting continuously using remote releases. One with a fisheye lens shooting at 30 seconds @5.6 iso 1600, the other with a 24 mm lens shooting at 20 seconds @2.8 iso 800

Even on continuous shooting and staggered timing there were a number of missed meteors because both shutters happened to be shut lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Blame Apple for the typos and me for the content

Excellent pictures. If its clear tonight I may stick mine out there and see what happens!

Thanks for the help.

Tom.

How much time was spent on video Kev, or have you found a way of programming the cameras to shoot 30sec sequences. ?

That's fantastic, Kev. Well done.

James

How much time was spent on video Kev, or have you found a way of programming the cameras to shoot 30sec sequences. ?

The remote release units just keep the cameras banging away continuously and they are set in manual mode with the shutter speeds set in the cameras.

I used 19 raw files to make the video, only 11 images contained the event I just used 8 more images before the meteor to pad the video out. The raw images were converted to tiffs and then batch processed applying levels, curves, resize to 800x600 and resharpened before outputing as 24-bit png images. These were then thrown into After Effects 6 to stretch the video out to a reasonable length and dumped out as an avi file.

All of the processes were semi-automated so probably no more than 15-20 minutes in total. I do intend to add in some dark frames to kill some noise but I was dead on my feet so I posted it as it is for now

Great capture Kev there's a guy caled Randy Halverson who does timelapses videos using a DSLR & he has manged to catch a couple of meteors burning up.

There's one at 53 seconds & another at 2:18 in this

Fantastic sequence. Deserves a wider audience

Thats one of the coolest things i've seen in a while! Definitely have to try my luck at capturing something similar tonight.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By stargamed
      I recently got an Orion StarShoot Astrophotography Camera and have had difficulty getting it
      to work right. The software that comes with it AstroCap seems horrible. The start/stop mechanisms
      are vague, the images won't appear. The best I've been able to do is see scan lines and some
      color light or dark variations on the screen after messing with the exposure and the gain.
      Popping the camera into the reflector or the refractor telescope yields nothing. I'm told
      there is other software that is better supported and more current including SharpCap
      and NINA. However so far neither of those recognize my StarShoot with the ASCOM
      drivers loaded. 
      Can someone tell me precisely what drivers I need to get the Option Starshoot (the original)
      to work with SharpCap NINA or some other software? A link would be much appreciated.
      What I downloaded from Orion have been AllInOneDrivers.ZIP AllInOneASCOM.ZIP and
      ASCOMPlatform 6.1 and later 6.5. The only software where I'm able to deliver even 
      a poor image to the laptop has been AstroCap. Or if there's a new and improved 
      AstroCap beyond 1.3.9 do tell!
    • By johnb
      Hi
      Some of you may be aware of the Radio Meteor Detection collaboration Project which is a group of contributors who submit their monthly log files after which do a number of things with the data see here for more info: https://radiometeordetection.org/about
      Our latest exciting project is to see if we can successfully match Radio and Video events to aid our understanding of meteor phenomena, so we are now starting to Map Radio Meteor Altitudes for GRAVES.
      The attached PDF gives a full description of this project
      The project brief and maps can be found here: https://radiometeordetection.org
      If you want any more information or feel you can help in any way, please do get in touch
      Kind Regards
      John Berman
      Mapping Radar Meteor Altitudes for GRAVES.pdf
    • By JCJC
      Hi all! I've been out of the game for some time now but nice to see familiar faces on SGL! I hope everyone is well and keeping sane and safe!
      Lots seems to have changed! New cameras, new software, new lots of things! It's hard to get back up to speed after a few years. My Dad (Mick J) keeps me updated. The general image standard is now so high it seems! 
      I have a bit of a natural break in work and life things so enjoying some time in Crete with other half's family currently. First time using portable set-up for me and to be honest a lucky capture with the comet in the frame mostly by accident!
      Approx 55 minutes total of 30s frames and some 10s frames for M42 core, ISO 400. Modded Canon 450D, Samyang 135mm F2. Skywatcher StarAdventurer.
      Similar version of lockdown here so taken from city location and passing cloud but happy to just have some time to enjoy a bit of hobby time! Processing gradients wise was tricky!
      Jordan
      Larger version here with annotations https://www.astrobin.com/xn9rd1/?nc=user

• By Bob_the_Science_Guy
      Hey Guys, 
      I run a Youtube Channel and as part of that I like to live stream the telescope.  But the problem is lack of consistency.
      Equipment:
      Orion EON 110, Meade 10" SCT
      Orion Mount - Exos2-PMC. Meade Mount 'push to' alt az with clockwork drive
      APT, SharpCap, PHD2, Stellarium, ASCOM Hub
      Focal Lengths Orion 660mm, Guide Scopes 188mm, SCT 2500mm
      Powered USB for ZWO cameras (120 and 294)

Here is what happens:
      Cameras, sometimes work, sometimes don't.  I am not making the mistake of trying to get APT and SharpCap to view the same camera.  I used APT for the guide scope and SharpCap for the main tube and the 294.  Sometimes APT will take an image, sometimes it will do live view, sometimes both, sometimes neither.  It is very distracting to the stream to spend an HOUR turning the computer off and on, plugging, unplugging and replugging the cameras just to get them to image.
      When I do get an image it plate solves at the NCP, but if you move away, setting the coordinates to the scope position or the object I am looking at, it doesn't consistently plate solve.  Sometimes it does, sometimes not.  It is completely irregular and can change within a session.
      Not all three plate solving means even work, for blind solve, 
      ASTAP never seems to work, either in point craft or locally stand alone
      PS2 and ASPS work intermittently, as above
      I did download all the catalogs and they are in the default directories.
      This is very frustrating and I was wondering if anyone else is having this issue or has suggestions.
      Bob

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.