Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mobile phone planetarium software/app

I've got a mobile phone which I want to run some kind of planetarium software/app on it to help with observing and I was hoping someone might recommend one. The only problem is its a few years old and is a push button one with a small screen so I'm guessing the choice is fairly limited as most apps these days are probably for 'iphone-type' phones?? but thought there might be something suitable, it accepts java based software OK, so anything of that sort would work on my phone. Cheers.

I've got a mobile phone which I want to run some kind of planetarium software/app on it to help with observing and I was hoping someone might recommend one. The only problem is its a few years old and is a push button one with a small screen so I'm guessing the choice is fairly limited as most apps these days are probably for 'iphone-type' phones?? but thought there might be something suitable, it accepts java based software OK, so anything of that sort would work on my phone. Cheers.

Well I am not sure what kind of other apps there are out there for non-iphone or ipad but I have GoSkyWatchP for my Ipad and it is very nice. It has a motion sensor feature so when I move it to the sky it displays what is in the sky in that direction.

Don't know really, but it might be time for a phone upgrade to a smartphone with a touchscreen? It is certainly the way forward and you will definitely see the benefit as these new types of phones have larger screens.

I have a Samsung Galaxy and have Google Sky loaded onto it. Brilliant for quickly identifying targets in the sky.

Don't know really, but it might be time for a phone upgrade to a smartphone with a touchscreen? It is certainly the way forward and you will definitely see the benefit as these new types of phones have larger screens.

I have a Samsung Galaxy and have Google Sky loaded onto it. Brilliant for quickly identifying targets in the sky.

i have to agree i am thinking along those lines. unfortunately i'm tied into a contract until next august :( so it will have to wait, although i'm tempted to just buy a cheap second hand touch screen on ebay and use it only for the app. in light of your comment about using google sky on your samsung for identifying, would you say it is capable enough to be a replacement to a star chart, so you can just use the phone to find what you want to see? the reason for asking is because i've been making my own print outs using stellarium screen shots for a while and i'm starting to get a bit fed up of making them and my folder is getting bigger and heavier by the day. i've just bought the sky and telescope pocket star guide but have found i find things easier with the print outs so i am thinking about the idea of the phone being the replacement.

i have to agree i am thinking along those lines. unfortunately i'm tied into a contract until next august :( so it will have to wait, although i'm tempted to just buy a cheap second hand touch screen on ebay and use it only for the app. in light of your comment about using google sky on your samsung for identifying, would you say it is capable enough to be a replacement to a star chart, so you can just use the phone to find what you want to see? the reason for asking is because i've been making my own print outs using stellarium screen shots for a while and i'm starting to get a bit fed up of making them and my folder is getting bigger and heavier by the day. i've just bought the sky and telescope pocket star guide but have found i find things easier with the print outs so i am thinking about the idea of the phone being the replacement.

To forget the phones for a sec I think that if you have the reason to purchase an Ipad I would do so. I wouldn't buy it strictly for astronomy but if you can find 2-3 other reasons to buy it I would. Plus there are a good number of astronomy software for it and some really nice ones are free. Just my thoughts.

Being a tight lad from oop Yorkshire with a whippet & ferrets to feed :grin: & being a lover of Samsung & things Android I wouldnt buy an IThis or An IThat (but thats my personal choice). I have used Apple - started surfing the net back in the 90's of last century on an SE30 on dial-up. :rolleyes:

There is some software for the Nokia 6303 & it is free .Have a look here http://www.mobiles24.com/downloads/tag/Astronomy/nokia-6303-classic-java-apps . A bit thin on the ground (six items but they are there). Must admit I've never tried them but so far I have not 'bricked' a phone (Yet :shocked: )

Hey LeoLion,

I'm with you in regards to not having an iwhatever. I go for what is the best thing for the job and I have friends in the industry who wouldn't touch Apple with a bargepole. I do like Samsung gear and it is more sensibly priced as well.

With regards to using starcharts in the field, that is where a smartphone has the edge. You can just hold it up to the sky and identify targets in seconds rather than having to look down at charts a deciphering them. Also you would need a red torch (which I have anyway). Certainly a headtorch with a red setting would be a must as well.

ps.

LeoLion,

Are you in Halifax or Huddersfield???? We could be neighbours:-)

M41cs67 - Half way between Hudds & Hal in Ell :smiley: !! I've a Vodafone Smart phone (a liitle too small a screen really) -very rarely used as a phone but as a star chart/steering device & a weather info source + a Nexus7 Tablet. Legacy devices are various Palm PDAs & a Psion Series 3 (most having been used for astro planetariums in the past ).

A 'puter' , a printer & a red torch work well with a pencil when I'm searching things out,setting up star hops with a pencil on the print out (at various scales) till I hit the object 'Bingo'. I do like Android and the Open Source ethics.

Sweet. I'm in Illingworth. The wife and I are looking at getting a tablet at the mo. Maybe a Nexus or Samsung. Haven't decided yet. Sorry Bendiddley for hijacking your thread.

Getting back onto the subject of smartphones and astronomy software, you would definately find it a benefit. I have a Samsung Galaxy Ace which is ok, but I really do wish now that I had got something with a bigger screen. My phone contract is up in July so I think i'll go for something with a much bigger screen next time like a Galaxy S3 or a Galaxy Note 2.

no worries malc. i think gathering how much people seem to be talking about their phones/tables etc it might be time i rethinked things when my contract ends, perhaps a phone with a good large sized screen would be a starting point. by the way does anyone use their phones/pads etc and not use a printed star map? i've been wondering about this, as the idea of having just a device rather than books/print outs etc would be far easier in my opinion, but does the reality of this match up with the concept? ie are the devices too bright or not easy to hold whilst moving the scope etc?? and at the end of the day are star maps better.

by the way does anyone use their phones/pads etc and not use a printed star map? i've been wondering about this, as the idea of having just a device rather than books/print outs etc would be far easier in my opinion, but does the reality of this match up with the concept? ie are the devices too bright or not easy to hold whilst moving the scope etc?? and at the end of the day are star maps better.

I tend to use the Apps for planning (Scope Nights, Jupiter Guide & SkySafari are particular fave's), but much prefer to use a star atlas when I'm actually out observing as its easier to read (and use with cold hands).

I recently bought a second hand Samsung Galaxy SII from CEX, and just put my contract sim in it.

You could do this with your phone, the way i look at it is, ive got rid of the blackberry as it was awful, yeah i paid alot for the phone, but i can get a sim only deal when my contract runs out (3 offer unlimited internet etc) and save money that way.

Google Skymap is really pretty good - although no substitute for a Telrad map and a torch - for a quick look to see what Messiers are around you if your hunting them.

To forget the phones for a sec I think that if you have the reason to purchase an Ipad I would do so. I wouldn't buy it strictly for astronomy but if you can find 2-3 other reasons to buy it I would. Plus there are a good number of astronomy software for it and some really nice ones are free. Just my thoughts.

Arghhh! But that eats into the scope budget!

Heh heh

Tony

I've got an ipad and a gs3.very rarely use the ipad outside the house it's just too cumbersome. The phone on the other hand is a god send. I use it for getting coords for the setting circle, searching for objects I want to find, with sky safari even checking out photos of clusters just to make sure I'm looking at what I think I've discovered and even just sitting out in the garden looking up at the sky and identifying constellations. I have a few sky maps but the phone is always with me I guess it's just a habit I've got into and it's now hard to break. Get yourself a Samsung galaxy, an s3 if possible even if you have to wait until the summer it really is worth waiting for. Good luck with your decision what ever you go for.

Archived