Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

jonathan

X-Cel LX for a Skywatcher 150P?

I have been reading that my 25mm 8SE Celestron eyepeice may not be very good in a Skywatcher 150P, and the supplied 10mm and 25mm are going to be average at best. I've also been reading that 4mm or 5mm is usable in the 150P, BST or TMB Planetary are names that seem to crop up a lot, but then someone mentioned Celestron X-Cel LX.

I have not upgraded my standard 8SE 25mm yet so could certainly consider doing that, but would mostly like to get a nice high magnification eyepiece to go with the 150P which should be arriving at my door any minute now.

Would the 5mm X-Cel LX be a good choice? What would be a good matching barlow to use with the 150P (and 8SE, if possible)? The only barlow I own is the one that came with the ST80, so, yeah..

Thank you.

Edited by jonathan

I have actually been pondering the Baader Hyperion Zoom Barlow 2.25x, as I have the Baader Hyperion Zoom which I used with my Lunt solar telescope. Should this Barlow work well with the X-Cel LX eyepieces, or is there a better choice for the Celestron X-Cel range?

Edited by jonathan

I have the 150p and have bought the BST 18mm and 8mm as these are very good in fast scopes. They did not disappoint me they are excellent i will be buying the rest of the range and not bothering with a Barlow lens.

• Like 2

OK.. next question - which is better between BST and X-Cel LX in a 150mm reflector?

OK.. next question - which is better between BST and X-Cel LX in a 150mm reflector?

In reality almost nothing to seperate them, and the opinions go either way so that you may as well consider them equal.

The "advantage" that the Celestrons have is there is a slightly better selection at the shorter focal lengths, you have 5, 7, 9, 12mm as opposed to 5, 8, 12mm.

Disadvantage is they cost a bit more.

They both operate well at f/5 and slower so again no difference.

Edited by Capricorn

Having only used the BST`s i cant comment i can only say that if you buy the BST`s you will be getting some very good eyepieces at very good prices and Jupiter in the 8mm was brilliant i cant wait get the 5 mm and try that.

personally, i sold my bsts in favour of the x-cel lxs. they have longer eye releif, almost too long, which mean you can get black outs, but, i felt they were brighter and sharper than the bsts (though i'm no expert and i wasn't really thourough in my testing). you can use the x-cel lxs with glasses on really easily, and build quality is better.

all that said though, there's very little in it, and the bsts are great.

you can use the x-cel lxs with glasses on really easily, and build quality is better.

That's a positive for me as I wear glasses normally, although I could observe without them it's just easier and safer to keep them on.

Edited by jonathan

I wear glasses and the eye relief on the BST`s is really good for spectacle wearers.

personally, i sold my bsts in favour of the x-cel lxs. they have longer eye releif, almost too long, which mean you can get black outs, but, i felt they were brighter and sharper than the bsts (though i'm no expert and i wasn't really thourough in my testing). you can use the x-cel lxs with glasses on really easily, and build quality is better.

all that said though, there's very little in it, and the bsts are great.

The BST's are best used with the twist-up eyecup always fully extended I find, but have not tried the X-Cel LX's.

true, and the same applies with the x-cel lxs if you aren't wearing glasses. i found that i couldn't see the field stop of the bsts with the cup down wearing my specs, and i like to be able to.

The BST's are best used with the twist-up eyecup always fully extended I find, but have not tried the X-Cel LX's.

im glad you say that,i thought i was unusual in that i use all my x-cels with the cups fully extended ,and i dont wear glasses.