Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Uranium235

CCD/DSLR Experiment #5: M45

Recommended Posts

This is the first time ive had the dual shooter in full flight since getting the additional ED80 to replace the 150P - which was unsuitable for merging with refractor images due to its diffraction spikes.

For this one I took a 2 pane mosaic with the CCD (blue filter only) while leaving the 1000d snapping away. It didnt matter where M45 landed on the DSLR chip since im only interested in the colour data it provides, I just let DSS sort it out in intersection mode and the star shapes turned out ok(ish) - but that wouldnt matter once combined with the CCD data. Though I do wish I had the FF/FR for the ED80/1000d because it will be needed for bigger mosaics. Mmmm maybe another present from auntie FLO before xmas? ;)

I had a feeling this might turn out well, and it has. However as usual, probably more luminance data is required to kill off the noise and sharpen it up a bit more (maybe another 90min per pane).

M45

Luminance: 12x600 Blue (2 panes)

Colour: 16x600 L

ED80 (0.85), ED80 (f7.5), Atik 314L+, 1000d, NEQ6

Calib: Darks + Flats (DSLR), Flats + Bias (CCD)

Thanks for looking! :)

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=79562

post-5513-0-00525600-1355268756_thumb.jp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ive noticed that there was a little too much green in this, so ive given it a dose of HLVG and the blue now looks more...... errr blue :)

Ahh the joys of DSLR processing, Id forgotten how much fun it was!

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=79566

post-5513-0-78027700-1355270270_thumb.jp

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The second image looks spot on Rob! Must feel great having a dual setup now, glad its all working well :)

Jamie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Superb second treatment to your M45, just a hint of the red/brown colouration coming through in the background...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Superb second treatment to your M45, just a hint of the red/brown colouration coming through in the background...

Cheers Francis, ahh yes that red/brown stuff - Is there supposed to be some there? Because I was trying my hardest to kill it off, I thought it was noise from the 1000d. Actually, I might top this up tonight if poss as I could do with re-shooting some of the 1000d frames. Some of the first lot was taken early in the evening when M45 was still a bit low, I compared one of those to when it was at the meridian and the difference was very noticeable... less noise, no gradients, much more signal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rob, it's a really good image, I'm always impressed by the way you handle stars during processing. The faint red stuff is definitely meant to be there, and from other forums I gather that it's presence is an indication of a good & representative image - don't rub it out!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Martin, I will have that in mind tonight if I manage to get out and add some more data. Im going to wait until its well up before starting it (9pm), only then can I be sure im getting clean data. Still a bit murky out there at the moment (it was a right pea-souper earlier on), but ive already got the gear out cooling down so it shouldbe ready to rock by the time ive finished dinner & washed up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks guys (and Gina!), on advice from Martin im going to go back and process it again without so much reduction in the red channel. Hopefully the increased number of darks will turn out something more representative.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right, ive gone back, this time applied 25 darks to the stack of 18 lights, stacked in DSS - then processed in PS and resisted the urge to remove the slight red/brown(ish) tinge to the bottom and bottom right of the nebula (I have been assured that this isnt noise). Ive also worked on the star colour a bit, and backed off on the stretching of the luminance slightly (2 hours luminance isnt really enough to give it the full works).

Hope that improves things :)

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=79704

post-5513-0-51463900-1355433416_thumb.jp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.