Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_celestial_motion.thumb.jpg.a9e9349c45f96ed7928eb32f1baf76ed.jpg

wookie1965

BBC Tribute to Sir Patrick Moore

it was a nice program, i must admit it did leave me with a lump in my throat he really is the last of his kind.

i thought they could have showed more of his friends and the relationships he formed over the years but then i guess it could have run for hours.

he was a truly great man and i hope the government does something to mark his passing and the legacy he leaves behind, to do anything less would be an insult.

I loved the bit with Patrick demonstrating the moons effect on the sea by being swept about by waves on the beach - presumably at Selsey where he lived.

he was a truly great man and i hope the government does something to mark his passing and the legacy he leaves behind, to do anything less would be an insult.

There must surely be a campaign soon for a statue of Patrick, can't decide where though.

• Like 1

I hope the beeb don't mess with the Sky At Night now Sir Patrick has gone. If it ain't broke then don't fix it. It would be nice to keep the format pretty much as it is and keep the regular co-presenters on board. Chris's Lintott and North, Pete Lawrence and Paul Abel maybe to rotate the programme or all have a part to play in each episode????

In any case the BBC have to be sensitive and they shouldn't try and mess with it otherwise they will kill it.

• Like 2

Here here, video'd for posterity.

Sadly, I don't think the TV show will last much longer, at least not in current format. Patrick has large boots to fill. More likely Stargazing Live format, if anything.

Its on iplayer this morning, but still only 28 minutes, although still says 75 mins, makes you womder if the beeb thinks there are 150 in an hour !!

The original on-line advertisement for the TV programme said it was 1hr 15mins long. So I wonder if it was hastily cut for broadcast, at at some stage we will be treated to the remaining 45 mins!?

NigelM

I laughed :D and I cried :( , more towards a celebration than a tribute, I recorded and will no doubt watch again!

• Like 1

The original on-line advertisement for the TV programme said it was 1hr 15mins long. So I wonder if it was hastily cut for broadcast, at at some stage we will be treated to the remaining 45 mins!?

NigelM

They did mention a "change to the schedule" before the program started so i suspect they kept it to 30mins due to other programming. I'm sure there will be longer documentaries to come (fingers crossed)

There must surely be a campaign soon for a statue of Patrick, can't decide where though.

greenwich royal observatory maybe?

Edited by bunnygod1

i enjoyed the programme, but it was woefully short (around 30 seconds for each year he has given the BBC) but i am sure the "sky at night" team will do a much more in depth celebration to his life.the thing that made sir patrick so enduring was his modesty, and ability to laugh at himself a very serious subject astronomy, but patrick always seemed happy to be involved in the lighter side of life as well!

• Like 2

I hope the beeb don't mess with the Sky At Night now Sir Patrick has gone. If it ain't broke then don't fix it. It would be nice to keep the format pretty much as it is and keep the regular co-presenters on board. Chris's Lintott and North, Pete Lawrence and Paul Abel maybe to rotate the programme or all have a part to play in each episode????

In any case the BBC have to be sensitive and they shouldn't try and mess with it otherwise they will kill it.

I really hope so. The show format is perfectly fine as it is.. I love stargazing live but that format should not be brought over or adapted to the S@N. It has it's differences and it should stay this way. Keep the current co-presenters as they are, as you say the programme isn't broke so I hope it's left alone.

• Like 1

Outside his home in Selsey?

Or what about on the moon, looking at earth?

Edited by Ganymede12
  • Like 1

Or what about on the moon, looking at earth?

Brilliant.

It would have to be pretty large for anyone on earth to see it (at least in the immediate future)

Does Patrick have a crater on the moon named after him, or just the minor planet?

Watching it now on catch up..........with tears of joy, and sadness

watched it with great sadness and joy.was a bit short but any tribute is better than no tribute as dispite his extreme dedication to the world of astronomy he hardly got a mention on tv and radio or papers compared to some who are a disgrace to this world not mentioning names but im sure we know who they are.rest in peace sir patrick moore we all miss you loads

I enjoyed the tribute programme. A longer tribute would have been nice for us, but I'm guessing he wouldn't have wanted more recognition (he always seemed quite modest to me). I'm sure the S@N team will spend more air time reflecting on his contribution.