Narrowband

Gloves when observing?

Naemeth

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thin thermal "under gloves" that are designed to go inside walking or skiing gloves are good for me. Thin enough to be able to do everything but the most delicate job yet warm enough to keep out the bitter cold and any wind. Available in silk if you want real warmth but not sure how robust they would be. Not expensive.

David

I wear gloves but take one off if I need to do some fiddly stuff, then put the glove back on if it's really cold. I can't quite change eyepieces with gloves on, and I would not attempt to carry my mount back inside the house without them on (fffffreeezing!!!)

Fingerless for me also,though i have only been out a couple of times when its been really cold and they worked fine,but i also keep my hands in my thermal lined coat pockets when not in use,worked last time i was out and that was cold.

Last time I was out, I wore 2 pairs of long johns 1 pair of track suit bottoms 2 thermal long sleeve tops one ordinary top, one hoddie with long sleeves, one jacket, one ski suit, 2 pairs of gloves, one ordinary, one pair fingerless, three pairs of socks and some good thermal boots oh yes and a wooly hat. Yes I was fine. But I could be in trouble if I fall over or want to pee Also I have a hair drier for keeping the dew off and that has other uses !

By the way why are trousers sold in pairs? can you buy a trouser ?

Stevie

My gloves go off and on all the time. I usually have a thinner pair of finger gloves, and a heavier pair of snowboard gloves when needed. I usually complement this by having a heatpack or two in my extraordinary large pockets on my winter jacket.

No gloves here.

I'm concerned about fibres getting onto the eyepiece - even my coat was chosen because 1) it had to keep me warm for observing and 2) the pockets don't shed fibre as I put my eyepieces in there so that they don't dew over. Fashion doesn't even get a look in!!

I find that if I can get the core & feet warm, the hands stay warm as well.

I find gloves necessary, but I do tend to take them on and off quite a lot, in part for the reason mentioned above. Also when handling/attaching filters and fiddling with focuser screws I loose a bit of dexterity when wearing gloves and I am not a fan of fingerless gloves. However I wear a down smock with deep through pockets, which I use as hand warmers. The gloves I wear are a pair of North face with sticky pads on the fingers and palms, which are reassuring if gripping eyepieces and have less issues with fibres.

I actually went into a filling station and they had those spend £10 and get these for £2.99. They are thinsulate and just the jub. I also got a woolie style hat at the same place for an extra £3.99.

All sorted guys, thanks for the advice

Baz :smiley:

post-358-0-03381900-1355482510_thumb.jpg

Top: Acrylic and Thinsulate -- good to about -5*C, and can drive with them.

Bottom: Rag wool and 40g Thinsulate -- I've worn them down to -35*C; toasty-warm down to -20 -- can't drive wiht them; the wool slips on the steering wheel.

Feet: Kamik Greenbay snow boots, rated down to -40, but I've only tested down to -35*C (warm)

Perhaps I should get custom gloves, thin layer over fingers and thick layer over rest of hands, so it keeps the air and heat in, and does the job of fingerless gloves too!

That's what I've got. Thin liner gloves (get them from a cycling shop, intended to be worn under other gloves) and thermal fingerless gloves. Toasty. :smiley:

I have a hat to put my head in ;)

Made me laugh out loud, and Mrs F when I read it out to her :)

I have some thin thermal gloves by Karrimor - for running/outdoor sports. They are pretty good for feeling what I am doing and I can do quite a lot with them on when observing. I just acquired some flip-top finger-less mittens having put them on my birthday wish list. If the rain relents I can try them out!! These should be a big improvement - at least I wont keep taking them off, setting them down and losing them in the dark :D

I find that if I can get the core & feet warm, the hands stay warm as well.

Very true, I wear a thermal base layer if its cold plus thermal socks and walking boots from Costco that are super warm. Then my body has plenty of spare heat to send down my arms, but I still have gloves on :) I can be outside for hours before I actually start to feel the cold anywhere other than on my face & head - I rarely wear a hat, they drive me mad for some reason.

Just picked these up at local store for £1.29, they are really thin and will fit under my larger gloves quite easily. Also the sparkly bits are actually little latex-ish type nodules which are great for holding onto your EP's and fiddling with your bits (ooer) but without losing your grip and possibly dropping & damaging expensive equipment.

Only thing I cannot verify is the keep warm properties of them but under my thinsulates they will be toastiie

Baz

post-26735-0-14481700-1355516940_thumb.j

Archived