SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Gloves when observing?

Naemeth

I was wondering, do you all wear gloves when observing or not? Over the past few weeks I haven't bothered because changing eyepieces becomes difficult with normal gloves on, but my hands do get really cold after an hour or so, so I was wondering:

Gloves or no gloves?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I purchased some thinner ones yesterday which now make it possible to use a handset controller,change ep's and filters etc but obviously they arent as warm as chunkier ones but a good compromise.they are called touchscreen gloves(work on touchscreen phones) and are £10 from go outdoors.

I never wear gloves, they do my head in. I just put my hands in my pockets when observing.

That's probably a fairly good idea.. except my hands might get cold after a while of being warm then cold etc.

Perhaps I should get custom gloves, thin layer over fingers and thick layer over rest of hands, so it keeps the air and heat in, and does the job of fingerless gloves too! They'd look ridiculous though ;).

Thanks for the advice everyone :), I might try fingerless gloves as I already have some thick ones.

I used to have a nice warm pair of fingerless gloves with flip over mits but they just drove me mad in the end. Over time I've found that with a much better hat and more generally warmer clothes that I don't actually need gloves now at all even when it's particularly cold... useful for being able to use the trackpad on my laptop.

James

No gloves here.

I'm concerned about fibres getting onto the eyepiece - even my coat was chosen because 1) it had to keep me warm for observing and 2) the pockets don't shed fibre as I put my eyepieces in there so that they don't dew over. Fashion doesn't even get a look in!!

I find that if I can get the core & feet warm, the hands stay warm as well.

Perhaps I should get custom gloves, thin layer over fingers and thick layer over rest of hands, so it keeps the air and heat in, and does the job of fingerless gloves too! They'd look ridiculous though ;).

Think you might have hit on something there fella. Get two pairs of thin gloves (two thin layers are better than one thick later) and chop the end off just above the first knuckle on one pair. Then simply wear one pair over the other. Your fingers/hands will stay warm and you will still be able to tinker with your bits. (ooer matron :grin: )

make sure its not too tight as mentioned above but your finger ends will stand up to the cold very well with the main of your hands toastie warm, win win I think.

Baz

Here is a trick for you....

Hands: Laytex gloves, cut the fingers just above the first knuckle joint so they cover about 80% of the finger. put them on...then get a pair of leather/material cycling gloves (Halfords are good) that also cover about 80% of the fingers. The two layers will assist in blood flow to the hands and create a warm zone between them that acts to keep the main part of the hand warm.

Feet....these work very well

Failing that, one thin layer of socks covered by a decent thick walking or marine boot sock and wear fur lined rigger boots...your feet will be as snug as a bug in a rug!!

I have just bought some thin Karrimor gloves for times when I am outside with the scope. It wasn't even a consideration getting any padded or woolly ones as it would be a nightmare changing eyepieces or using my hand controller.

Archived