SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Mirrors

tone2012

Went to Galvoptics today to drop my mirrors off, can't wait to get them aluminised, they were in a bad way, he showed me a 16" mirror they just finished, big glass made my 11" look small

Such an odd size my one.

They said they will get it done before Xmas.

Seem like nice people

• 5 weeks later...

I'd be interesting in the final impressions of these guy's, i've been thinking of having mine redone for a while (although i dontl think it's that bad ) but i'd be interested in comments about them.. first of all i'e got to figure how to get the mirror out of the scope..

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

sorry for late reply, i got my mirrors back a few days before xmas, but they wasnt able to do a good job as the mirror had water marks they could not get rid off, they did it twice but still not 100%, they said it need grinding back, will take a pic and show you how it came out, good news is i only paid £80 for what they did, so wasnt too bad.

ive not tested it yet and need to build a new stand for it. need warmer weather.

I don't understand why they didn't warn you that problems could arise if the stains were that bad.

I know the coating won't hide a poorly polished mirror, but there cleaning process and the High Voltage Ionising they do in the Vacuum chamber,

ought to have ensured no dust would be on the surface whilst undergoing the coating process.

Did they perhaps not charge you for the job?

Ron.

I had to pay they let me of the Vat.

When I showed them the mirror they got a mirror they done and said it would look same as one they just done, it's had a few water marks but not that bad could hardly see them, they said it come it in very similar condition, so I thought mine would be the same, gutted it wasn't but they said they done the best they could. He gave me a number of a bloke who grinds em but after paying out already to buy the mirror then paying to get it fixed,I didn't want to pay out even more, surely if I had it grinned it would then need to go back to Galvoptics to be polished etc

Archived