Narrowband

geminid meteor shower

northwalesparry

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

do you live in anglesey ? i have family and friends there

I live in Gloucester but normally work at Wylfa power station on Anglesey so I have a house near Cemaes Bay. At the moment I'm working at the old Trawsfynydd power station so I have access to the overflow carparks during the night with really clear views over the lake, so nice and secure for the cameras and I can crash out in the car lol

img_7430_1_2_tonemapped.jpg

Just checked weather forecast, ( been avoiding looking as didn't want to be disappointed) its looking rubbish!! :-( mist and fog forecast for all night!!

I have however just seen a meteor shoot through Gemini through my binoculars. About as much as I'm probably going to see by the looks d things! X

Decisions, decisions - Forecast is clear for tonight (a day ahead of the peak) but wet for tomorrow night (peak night). There is no way I will be able to manage consecutive all-nighters (tried that before and had a really nice sleep under the stars). So do I go out tonight and hope there is good activity and risk the forecast being wrong and being too tired to go out tomorrow night!

You know who's law says if I go out tonight it will be clear tomorrow but if I don't go out tonight then it is sure to be horrible tomorrow!

I think most places will be clouded out thursday evening so tonight will be the only chance of seeing anything. There are a few flying through over the last couple of nights but obviously the rate will rapidly increase towards the peak tomorrow night. I've no idea if Friday will be clear but it's another opportunity

I'm getting my head down and poking my head out the door around 2am, if it's clear then it's just an early start to the day, if it's cloudy plenty of time for some more sleep :)

Tomorrow night will be a no go for me, I finish work at 10 and start at 7 the next morning so I will straight to bed when I get in! This just leaves tonight, the sky is partially cloudy, it's dreadfully cold but I am hoping to persist and get some meteor viewing in from a sun lounger in the back garden. I have seen just one this year already from the other night but it was fairly faint and nothing spectacular. But even if I get no viewing in tonight and on subsequent nights at least I can say I saw a Geminid this year :D

I live in Gloucester but normally work at Wylfa power station on Anglesey so I have a house near Cemaes Bay. At the moment I'm working at the old Trawsfynydd power station so I have access to the overflow carparks during the night with really clear views over the lake, so nice and secure for the cameras and I can crash out in the car lol

Oooh do ya, I have dealings with guys at Wylfa sometimes :D

We've had really bad freezing fog here over the last few days but it seems to have cleared a little tonight. Need to get myself a reclining chair and a sleeping bag.

Archived