Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

"Running Man" and Messier 42 , Had enough of it for one day ! ! !

Steve Ward

Been messing with this all afternoon now , have 1.6 zillion versions that all look as bad as each other . . . :p

Tried to find a "reference" shot on-line to give me a guide but couldn't find two alike so I guess it's not just me . . . . :rolleyes:

Result No. 1,335,582 from a stack of 51 x 120 second subs @ ISO 400 + Flats and Darks , very transparent sky but even Jupiter was twinkling so I guess the seeing could have been better , the occasional thin cloud wandered by which cost a few subs but not a sign of dew all night . . .

P1024M42Borednow.png

1000D + ED80 Pro + F/F ( slight crop to get rid of some of the gradient) 51 x 120s @ ISO 400 + Flats + 10 x 120s matched Darks , DSS + Gimp2.8.

Overcooked it somewhat as I've lost all the star colour .

Got to the point where I cannot see the wood for the trees now , let alone where the nebulosity ends and the nasty stuff starts . . . so putting this one to bed for a while . . . my head hurts . . . :Envy:

Steve

I looks great for what you have. I think you are getting frustrated because you cant pull out as much as you've seen in other pictures and I think the reason is not your processing skills but the fact that you where shooting at iso400. Which is really low. I would suggest shooting at at least iso800. The noise is still pretty low and with enough subs and darks you'll be able to control it much better.

Archived