SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Help with EYEPIECE PROJECTION WITH A WEBCAM

symbiosis

Hi

I'm trying to have a go at this method of capturing using an Xbox live web cam. I have removed the focuser from the web cam (exposing the CCD) and I have made a coupler that goes over the end of the web cam and then fits over the top of an eyepiece at the other end.

I tried it out yesterday in daylight but couldnt get an image on the screen even with much playing with the focus and the gain/exposure settings - any thoughts on what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks

You need a 1.25" adapter which screws into the webcam in place of the "focuser", this adapter in turn is placed on the telescope in place of an eyepiece. With all that in place you should then try focusing to get an image on the screen. If that still fails you will probably need a diagonal, this will go in the telescope instead of an eyepiece and the adapter with the cam attached will go in the diagonal, focus and you should get an image on screen. If you feel the need to ask why you need an adapter, a diagonal before you can focus then do so, I am sure some kind gent will come along and fill you in on the details, hope that was of help :)

Jim

Thanks Jim - excuse my ignorance here but isnt what you are describing prime focus? I have already used this method with another xbox cam and have got that to work but I was interested in giving eyepiece projection a go (which I understood to be a different method)

Hi Capricorn, I have used this method as well (basically Afocal) but I was interested in trying this:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/52999-primer-eyepiece-projection-with-a-webcam/

and here (though with a DSLR in this instance) http://www.stargazing.net/Astroman/Craters.html

Only I'm doing it slightly differently in that I'm trying to attach directly to the EP (rather than using a nosepiece and the adaptor mentioned in the tutorial) - cant see that would make a differnce however

Archived