Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_celestial_motion.thumb.jpg.a9e9349c45f96ed7928eb32f1baf76ed.jpg

Tim

Couple of previews? Space claw, Bubble, Pretzel

At the moment it feels like I am juggling too many balls. I have quite a few images waiting in the wings as it were to be processed, but no time to do them justice, but still they come, as at the present moment M109 is rolling off the camera.

So I thought I'd post a couple of previews of stuff in the pipeline. All at long focal length and perhaps a bit different to a standard offering.

None of these images have been calibrated, just taken the lights and stacked them, and with M76 combined the Ha and O3 data to see how it looked. Just basic processing.

All images taken with C11EdgeHD and Atik 428ex, with 7nm Baader Ha filter. Binned 2x2 usually.

Thanks for looking, let me know what you think :)

Tim

post-1391-0-25409400-1355113107_thumb.jppost-1391-0-35731300-1355113081_thumb.jppost-1391-0-00939500-1355113135_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Thats an awesome set of previews. That third ones a stunner.

great shots there Tim, did you use a Ha filter on the bubble?

Dan

Thanks Dan, that Bubble shot is actually a mix of Ha and O3 data combined.

• Like 1

What mount are you using!.. if it's the EQ6 then WOW!!

Great images Tim. Just goes to show what an SCT can do on DSOs in capable hands. Do you use a reducer (are there any good ones for the EdgeHD?) or is this at the native F/10?

Some lovely long focal length work Tim, all 3 images are just superb. i'm particularly looking forward to seeing your M109 as I had a quick 5 min shot of this galaxy with my C11, and instantly marked it down as one I must have a go at as soon as the chance arises!!

Thanks all :) I do plan to get the 0.7 reducer for the edge when it finally arrives Michael, but these are all at native F10 on my trusty old EQ6.

M109 does indeed look very pretty Martyn but it is proving very tricky to get decent Luminance subs for it. Last night was the darkest/clearest chance yet and I got another few hours on it so hopefully there'll be something to show for all that. I like doing M109 last in the night because it allows me to sleep and leave the kit running, although last night I stayed up all night. Starting to feel a bit tired now :)

That C11 really delivers! The close-up of the Rosetta and the Bubble are my favorites.

/Lars

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By alan4908
      M76, which is also known as the the Little Dumbbell, Cork or Butterfly Nebula is a planetary nebula about 4.5 light years across and approx 4000 light years distant. It was formed about 10,000 years ago when the central dying star lost a huge amount of matter.  The structure of the nebula has two inner lobes and two fainter outer ones.  High Ha emissions are present along with OIII emissions which create a the teal (blue/green) cast.
      As for the title, the bright star reminded me of Sunrise on Earth, hence the name. 
      (For the more literal among you, the bright star is HD10498 which has apparent magnitude of 6.6, so you'd probably be unable to see this with the naked eye.  It's about 27x the size of our Sun and is approx 900 light years distant). 
      The LRGB image below represents over 15 hours integration time and was taken with my Esprit 150.
    • By alan4908
      M76, which is also known as the the Little Dumbbell, Cork or Butterfly Nebula is a planetary nebula about 4.5 light years across and approx 4000 light years distant. It was formed about 10,000 years ago when the central dying star lost a huge amount of matter.  The structure of the nebula has two inner lobes and two fainter outer ones.  High Ha emissions are present along with OIII emissions which create a the teal (blue/green) cast.
      As for the title, the bright star reminded me of Sunrise on Earth, hence the name. 
      (For the more literal among you, the bright star is HD10498 which has apparent magnitude of 6.6, so you'd probably be unable to see this with the naked eye.  It's about 27x the size of our Sun and is approx 900 light years distant). 
      The LRGB image below represents over 15 hours integration time and was taken with my Esprit 150.
      Alan

LIGHTS: L:36, R:20, G:16, B:20 x 600s, DARKS:30, FLATS:40, BIAS:100 all at -20C.

• By Greg_1920
      Hello, this is my first attempt on NGC 7635 with my skywatcher 250pds on an NEQ6 synscan mount. These are 7min subs stacked to a total exposure of 5 hours taken with my unmodified canon 700d and a skytech cls filter. No coma corrector was used as I haven't gotten one yet. I'm just wondering how I could make my images look clearer when zoomed in and improve them overall as I can see the image gets more blurry when I zoom in onto the bubble, should I use a higher magnification? Do I need to take more darks to get rid of the redness around the image ? Or perhaps I stretched the image too much in Photoshop? I used 10 darks, 60 bias and 60 flat frames. 
      Update: I have now further processed my image with greater care and got a much better result. 
      Thanks 
      Greg

• By alexbb
      The bubble nebula. Not much to add about the target itself as it is already popular enough.
      A combination of HOO shot with the ASI1600MMC + Astronomik narrowband filters through the 200mm newtonian tube removed from the dobson base and put on the EQ6-R.
      About 6h of exposure through the Oxygen filter and about 9h through the Hydrogen filter.
      Clicking on the pictures will redirect to the astrobin images where you can watch them in full resolution.
      Crop close-up

And widefield

Thanks for watching and clear skies to you too!
      Alex
    • By MarsG76
      This is the SHO result of my first imaging object with the cooled Canon 40D. 
      Through out the imaging, the camera failed a number of times due to condensation buildup inside and so this is a result of two different 40D bodies and sensors. I captured some HAlpha data with the originally cooled 40D before it failed and the second half of the HAlpha, OIII and SII are captured with the second modded and cooled 40D

Exposures: SII: 30x1200s HII: 30x600s OIII: 30x900s ISO1600
      Telescope: BOSMA Beta RE
       Focal length: 500mm

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.