Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Tim

Couple of previews? Space claw, Bubble, Pretzel

At the moment it feels like I am juggling too many balls. I have quite a few images waiting in the wings as it were to be processed, but no time to do them justice, but still they come, as at the present moment M109 is rolling off the camera.

So I thought I'd post a couple of previews of stuff in the pipeline. All at long focal length and perhaps a bit different to a standard offering.

None of these images have been calibrated, just taken the lights and stacked them, and with M76 combined the Ha and O3 data to see how it looked. Just basic processing.

All images taken with C11EdgeHD and Atik 428ex, with 7nm Baader Ha filter. Binned 2x2 usually.

Thanks for looking, let me know what you think :)

Tim

post-1391-0-25409400-1355113107_thumb.jppost-1391-0-35731300-1355113081_thumb.jppost-1391-0-00939500-1355113135_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Thats an awesome set of previews. That third ones a stunner.

Wonderful images all of them :)

great shots there Tim, did you use a Ha filter on the bubble?

Dan

great shots there Tim, did you use a Ha filter on the bubble?

Dan

Thanks Dan, that Bubble shot is actually a mix of Ha and O3 data combined.

• Like 1

What mount are you using!.. if it's the EQ6 then WOW!!

Great images Tim. Just goes to show what an SCT can do on DSOs in capable hands. Do you use a reducer (are there any good ones for the EdgeHD?) or is this at the native F/10?

Some lovely long focal length work Tim, all 3 images are just superb. i'm particularly looking forward to seeing your M109 as I had a quick 5 min shot of this galaxy with my C11, and instantly marked it down as one I must have a go at as soon as the chance arises!!

Thanks all :) I do plan to get the 0.7 reducer for the edge when it finally arrives Michael, but these are all at native F10 on my trusty old EQ6.

M109 does indeed look very pretty Martyn but it is proving very tricky to get decent Luminance subs for it. Last night was the darkest/clearest chance yet and I got another few hours on it so hopefully there'll be something to show for all that. I like doing M109 last in the night because it allows me to sleep and leave the kit running, although last night I stayed up all night. Starting to feel a bit tired now :)

That C11 really delivers! The close-up of the Rosetta and the Bubble are my favorites.

/Lars

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By matthasboldlygone
      First night - missed the target and took lots of images of some nearby stars
      Second night - 35 x 2 min
      Third night - 60 x 2 min
      I've tried stacking the two nights separately and all together to give a total of 3 hours, but the stacked images all turn out roughly same. Think I must be limited somewhere else and the extra data isn't being captured. The best of the batch was a very quick process of night 3, 2 hours. I was happy to see the bubble shape and a bit of cloudy bits 👍

Bresser AR 102/600 - Bresser HD camera - Stacked in Siril, simple process in Pixinsight
    • By SamK
      Here's a close-up of the chain of dark clouds of the Rosette Nebula using public domain data.
      I've used IPHAS survey H-alpha as luminance with a colour layer derived from the Digitized Sky Survey red/blue channels (transformed to a SHO style turquoise/gold colour layer).
      My own 8'' GSO RC version (last image below) was the inspiration (shown for low-res comparison).
      Some people see "animals" formed from the dark clouds... I see a leaping jaguar top right (or spanner!) and an ostrich bottom left.
      The tiny dark circles to the left of the jaguar's head are referred to as globulettes in Gahm et al (2007). The smaller circles are estimated to have masses of about 1-2 times that of Jupiter and a radius of about 2,000 AU and are speculated to result in the formation of free-floating interstellar planetary-mass objects.
      Processing:
      -Photoshop (with Google Nik Collection for output sharpening and noise reduction)
      -Defect cleaning from the IPHAS frames, stacking and mosaic re-mapping using my own software (which occasionally seems to work)
      -Again, my own processing software to do the red/blue to SHO-style colour mapping and also to make a local contrast layer
      Data acknowledgements:
      -H-alpha survey from the 2.5m Isaac Newton Telescope (www.iphas.org/data.shtml), 120 second frames
      -Red and blue from the ESO Digitized Sky Survey archive DSS2 (archive.eso.org/dss/dss)
      -Star colours from GAIA DR2 Archive (gea.esac.esa.int/archive)
      Unprocessed data here
      Cheers, Sam

• By Alfredo Beltran
      Hi
      This is my version of the Rosette nebula using the Hubble and taken with the ASI071 OSC camera. Telescope was a C925 EdgeHD with Hyperstar lens.

Exposure time: 4hr 50 min in total at unity gain
      2hr 00 min (24 x 5 min) Ha
      1h 15 min (55 x 5 min) OIII
      1hr 35 min (19 x 5 min) SII
      This setup is awesome. A few years ago such an image just could’ve been taken with a monochrome ccd.
      Regards,
      Alfredo
    • By gorann
      I spent Friday night collecting 13 hours on the well known Bubble nebula (NGC7635) together with two less known emission nebulas, Sh2-159 (down to the right) and NGC7538 (upper right). Aladin Sky Atlas gives no name for the black nebulosity in the centre.
      RGB collected with Esprit 150 and ASI071 (75 x 5 min). Ha collected with Esprit 100 and ASI1600 (27 x 15 min, Baader 3.5 nm Ha). Both side my side on the Mesu200 in my obsy. Ha added to the red channel in blend mode Lighten as 50%.
      The Bubble nebula came clearly out as more bluish-red than the others so expect there may be quite a bit of Oiii in it.
      Clouds moved in at 0100 and they have apparently decided to remian for at least a week.....

• By alan4908
      In an effort to improve on my image of the Bubble Nebula from a few years ago, I decided that my existing data needed a longer integration time...... so at a total integration time of just over 26 hours here's the result.  The image, taken with my Esprit 150, is an LRGB rendition with an Ha blend into the Red and Lum channels.  I was particularly interested in seeing how much detail I could extract on the bubble itself, so I decided that it looks best cropped. 
      Alan

LIGHTS: L: 33, R: 27, G:27, B:23 x 600s, Ha:16 x1800s, BIAS:100, DARKS:20, FLATS:40 all at -20C. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.