M42 Orion 400mm lens more data added

RAC

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a stunning shot.

Can honestly say I haven't seen a cleaner, crisper shot of M42

Very very impressive.

Thanks. I have seen a few but they have all been done with CCD's. I think its because by the time most people get to the point of spending 8 hours or more on one photo they would have already moved onto a ccd. I have one coming but it won't be here till the new year.

Lovely image RAC, just shows what a DSLR is capable of in good hands. Did you desaturate the dust, it came out quite red on my recent image. You've got some lovely ha details going on within the dust and I like the way the heart of M42 seems to glow. You have managed a lot more contrast than me, do you have quite a dark sky?

If i take a shot with no LP filter i can get the histogram to the middle with a 5min sub at f5, with a cls-ccd filter i can do about 20min before that happens. If you go to my flickr page you can see the location where i live. I can see the MilkyWay with ease to the east but not to the west, half of my sky is good, there is no point in doing a median flip here.

I probably did desaturate the dust a bit but thats becasue i think the image would look too red if all the dust was red. I processed this image so many times till i was happy with it and im still going as well.

I can only imagine what could be done with a cooled DSLR and a perfect sky. I don't see the point in OSC ccd's to be honest. Apart from people not wanting to mod their cameras so much as i have.

Archived