Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Clear skies tonight

jason24483

Looking good up here in central Scotland for tonight!

Been a few weeks since I've been out with the goto dob as its been manic at work!

But I'm off tonight and all day tomorrow!

Will be travelling to my dark site tonight with a few friends who have never looked through a telescope!

Surely a 10" dob should give them the wow

What should we look at tonight???

Clear skies

I would go for M35/36/3/7/38 and then ask them which one they prefer and why...

Once Orion is up look at M42 and see if anyone can see its green colour..

Show them Almach in Andromeda as it beats any colours in Christmas lights.

On low power show them the owl cluster in cassiopea NGC 457 I think..

Have fun...

Mark

Well that was a let down, set the scope up in daylight for once waited for the sun to go down, watched the clouds disappear then went out and high mottled cloud had cast itself all across the sky obscuring everything other than what's above......

Clear skies forecast for here tonight, too. But three times in the last week clear skies have been forecast only for me to abandon the evening immediately after setting up due to cloud. And right now, it is raining :(

James

Well here in Lancashire the skies were reasonably clear, got some decent views of Jupiter but it was in the area right over the main LP in my area, dam hotel 150 yds away with more lights than Blackpool. Stops great views being awesome.

From what I can gather, the best viewing objects come round to my viewing area of W to N at 11 onwards, need clarify this though

It was clear here, but extremely windy so decided not to sit out in it and just try capturing some video with my CCD camera. I think the wind was causing the camera to shake a bit though, so the results are probably going to be dreadful! I found caldwell 18 for the very first time though. I've looked for that numerous times and nothing, but for some reason I found it instantly! :)

As I started to put eveything away, I noticed that the wind had calmed and the sky was darker than it has been for the last umpteen times I have braved the weather and sat out in it! Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.......................

Oh well, maybe next time!

I managed to go back out there in the end after the cloud disappeared and Polar Aligned for the first time! I also imaged Jupiter again and also some of Orions stars in and around the Nebula but unfortunately I can't see the Nebula.

I then went hunting for Andromeda but still can't find it. I don't think the street light was helping which was close to where it was supposed to be.....

Archived