Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Cambridge, UK, where to observe from.

zootlewurdle

New here, so sorry if this is the wrong place to ask...

I live near Cambridge, UK. It's not practical to use my 'scope at home, no real visibility of the sky plus light pollution. Can anyone recommend any good sites to take my 'scope to observe and/or do astro imaging from? Preferably somewhere reasonably dark, safe, secure, and not somewhere where I'll get an angry farmer running at me with a pitch fork shouting "Gerrof my land!" and not somewhere where there might be courting couples!

I can't help over the location (as I'm in Somerset) and my brother in law who is in Cambridge has no interest in astronomy but I have found that farmers are usually perfectly happy to have an astronomer on their land at night so long as you tell them when you're there so that they can tell their gamekeepers not to shoot you... Its also an advantage to be on private land not public and if you're really lucky the farmer/his wife will bring you a steaming cup of tea when they do their rounds at night.

James

Archived