Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_celestial_motion.thumb.jpg.a9e9349c45f96ed7928eb32f1baf76ed.jpg

russ.will

RIP Sir Patrick

Very sad news. Like countless others he was my inspiration to take an interest in "what`s up there" . A truly remarkable man. Rest in peace Sir Patrick and thank you.

very sad,lets all go look at the moon tonight and be with him..R.I.P.

A unique individual and he will be sorely missed by myself and many others :sad:

I'll be winking twice at the moon next time I see it - once for Neil Armstrong and once for Sir Patrick for whom the study of the moon was a passion.

• Like 6

So sad to hear this what a lovely wonderful man he will be greatly missed.

Sent from my GT-S5670 using Tapatalk 2

He will be sadly missed, but will remain an inspiration to many.

R.I.P.

God bless, Sir Patrick, you were a great inspiration to me and so many others, giving me a lifelong interest in astronomy.

How many others could say that they had such an interesting, productive time on this planet?

You were from an older and far better Britain.

• Like 3

RIP... An inspiration, hope he has a great view wherever he is now!

I very much doubt anybody else will be able to fill his boots. :sad:

A sad day indeed.

Still,as a cricketer,I'm sure he took comfort in a game well played and 89 a pretty good score. :icon_salut:

• Like 3

Very,very sad news-like losing a relative or a very old friend. Somewhere,I have a postcard, from c 1974,from Sir Patrick welcoming me to the B.A.A., with the words "May we meet ere long." Sadly,this was not to be. An astronomical guru. Don't under-estimate his great sense of humour.I have his book 'Can you speak Venusian?' A very funny ,book about alternative beliefs (flat earth society,Aetherius,etc) that never ridicules or belittles these alternative thinkers.I doubt that it's still in print.Going to order the autobiography now.

• Like 2

RIP he introduced me to astronomy through his 'Observer' book and Scott Saunders Adventure Stories. If he had not been who he was I doubt that interest would have developed. Sad news.

A very sad day for Astronomy he truly was a legend. Rest in peace Sir Patrick you will never be forgotten you are an inspiration to us all. What an amazing run he has had on the Sky at Night the only thing to floor him was food poisoning by a Goose egg.