Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

russ.will

RIP Sir Patrick

Very sad news. He was the inspiration that started my love of astronomy. RIP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RIP Patrick Moore. He will be greatly missed and i can only imagine how many people he inspired to get into astronomy.

RIP Patrick.

You inspired me when I was younger and countless others to look up, your enthusiasm and passion for astronomy has been boundless. I have tried to pass on your enthusiasm for the subject to my kids and many others when I've done outreach at their school, I hope you realised how many people you have inspired over the years..... thank you Sir. :icon_salut:

• Like 2

So sad, I was deeply shocked to hear this news, I honestly thought he would live forever.

Patrick, you will never be forgotten.

Alexandra

• Like 2

Very sad news, but at 89 we can be happy that he lived a long, and very productive life, and has left a legacy we can all be proud of, and thankful for.

• Like 4

Such an inspiration to so many, he will be missed.

RIP sir

A very sad loss to the global astro community and popular science in this country.

He actually looked a little better on the recent Sky at Night too.

Nooooo! Just saw this on the BBC website :(

What a sad day for astronomy in the UK.

• Like 1

Rest peacefully sir, you have truly earned it. You will be missed by so many. A true inspiration.

I will always be grateful to Sir Patrick, who is one of the two (the other being Sir Fred Hoyle) who inspired my passion for astronomy. I have two abiding memories of the last time I met him (22 years ago, when I was making a BBC Radio documentary on light pollution, to which he gave freely of his time): his great warmth and generosity of spirit ..... and the pain in my foot as he stood on it as we were backing out of his octagonal observatory! :-)

The next time I look at a starry sky, I will pause and remember this great man.

• Like 3

A great loss :(

Thank you for many years of pleasure listening to your knowledge.

Just found out. It's the end of an era. Shocked. RIP Sir Patrick Moore.

I remember the first time I met Patrick Moore. I had gone to a lecture by Thomas Bopp (post the Hale Bopp comet) and in to the lecture theatre walks Patrick and he starts selling raffle tickets like it was main mission in life. Later that same evening I was having a chat with him (month before starting my physics and astrophysics undergrad) and after about 5 minutes he gives me his telephone number and invites me round. Quite the first impression he made. Sky at Night will never be the same. You will be missed. RIP

Eternal Clear skies,

• Like 7