Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

russ.will

RIP Sir Patrick

He certainly inspired me to begin looking upwards. End of an era indeed.

A sad day for astronomers, he will be missed.

Top man, who inspired my lifetime's passion for astronomy. I even had the pleasure of meeting him.

RIP.

As did i and many others.........tremendous honour.

A very sad day indeed, what an inspirational life he led. I am honoured to have met him, a truly fantastic fellow.

• Like 2

Very sad to learn of this, I believe that he passed away at home. His rich and influencial legacy will certainly live on.

• Like 2

Rest in peace Sir Patrick.

Sad news indeed, but what a life he led and what a contribution to science and astronomy in particular. We all owe him a debt of gratitude and I for one would like to say a very big "Thank you".

• Like 7

Yes a very sad day for sure and he will always remain a legend in my books with regards to his contribution to astronomy to both professionals and amateurs alike. I met him briefly when he came to Bristol to give a presentation and found him to be a man of great humility and patience as he found the time to chat with everyone who queued up for an autograph or for him to sign his new book. I think it was clear to most of us that he has been very ill for sometime and sadly the inevitable has arrived - will be deeply missed.

James

• Like 3

A great loss to popular astronomy, as others have said, he was an inspiration. RIP.

I had the privilege of being lectured by him at Queen Mary College, London in the late 70's and also met him during that time.

I also saw him hold a audience of non-astromers spellbound at the same college when giving a talk on astronomy.

A true amateur who suceeded in the world of professionals. Words cannot express the effect he has had for amateur and professional astronomers.

His loss will felt by many but especially by me.

"No more Mr Night Sky"

RIP Sir Patrick.

Simon

• Like 2

A great man, he will be sorely missed by this hobby, RIP Patrick

A very sad day to be sure, but lets take solace and inspiration from the legacy he has left behind, lets continue to inspire others to take up astronomy just as he did for so many, Sir Patrick gone but never to be forgotten.

• Like 5

just back from work (yes work, on a sunday!!) only to hear this news. what a tragedy, a terrible loss and one that can never be replaced.

• Like 1

Very sad to hear this, but what a legacy he's left behind. How many people has his enthusiasm brought to the hobby and profession.

• Like 1

It is probably fair to say that if it wasn't for Patrick Moore and the Sky and Night astronomy wouldn't be the hobby it is today and this site and others like it would just not exist. His contribution to the science and the popularisation of the hobby has been gigantic and he will be sadly missed.

Rest in peace among the stars you loved Patrick.

• Like 6

RIP Sir Patrick.

When I was a wee'un his enthusiasm and knowledge planted a seed that is still flourishing and I know for a fact that this is true of many others too.

Thank you and godspeed you, SPM.

• Like 2

A very sad day indeed, rest in peace sir.

RIP Sir Patrick Moore... He is and always will be an inspiration to all old and new comers to Astronomy. Will the Sky at Night ever be the same without him?...I dont think so, A true icon..... Love the guy.... I salute you Sir Patrick :icon_salut:

• Like 2

what a man, he'll be sadly missed throughout the astronomy world. rest in peace sir.

• Like 1