Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

RIP Sir Patrick

russ.will

He was my inspiration , from watching him during the Apollo Moon landings , he showed me how to be an astronomer , I wil treasure the memorys of first meeting him at Dundee in 1975 and the visits to Selsey thanks to Patrick I have a life long interest in Space and Astronomy and ended up working in the Observatory at Dundee as well as the airdrie and paisley observatorys . please keep the sky at night going on TV I will treasure his Atlas of the Universe and his 1970 book Space

• Like 3

Heard the news last night and although we all knew it was going to happen one of these years, I was still shocked and saddened when it happened. If only everyone could have 1% of the inspiration and presence of the late Sir Patrick, then the world would be a much better place.

So sadly missed, such devotion to the amatuer cause and from all accounts, there for everyone.

My only regret is that I never got to meet the great man.

RIP Sir Patrick, the next SuperNova should be named after him.

Cat

• Like 1

Farewell, Sir Patrick. Sadly this news completes the trio of astronomy superheroes (with Neil Armstrong and Sir Bernard Lovell) who have departed this realm in 2012.

He will be sorely missed....but his legacy will certainly live on for many generations to come.

• Like 2

Sleep well big man. Actually I hope you aren't sleeping but are in the next universe still brimming with entusiasm for life and all the universe(s) have to show us.

You're one of those people that has always been there and I kind of assumed always would be. It's hard to think we won't see you and witness your genius flowing again but you have left a lifetime of literature and broadcasts for us to keep enjoying until if and when we see you in that hereafter you were looking forward to discovering the nauture of.

The skies last night were clearer than they'd been in a while where I was and the Orion Nebula could almost have been glowing in tribute!

• Like 4

Jupiter was in full glory last night, a fitting tribute to Sir Patrick. Jupiter was one of his favourites. I remember seeing his Jupiter sketch book on S.A.N. Lovely drawings, and all with a 3" frac if I remember rightly.

How fitting that it was a lovely clear night to mark the end of such an accomplished lifetime.

• Like 3

we all looked up and smiled in awe

some just listened, with fallen jaw

For fifty years he conveyed his way

that is until this final day.

we've all strode out minds truly fired

knowing well we've been inspired

So lets all look up

and smile in awe

and join this toast.

"Sir Patrick Moore"

Rip Sir Patrick you will be missed.

Lovely. Did you write this? I've printed it off and will put it with my shrine to Patrick

• Like 3

Very sad news indeed, I am fortunate in that i had, in years gone by, regular contact with Patrick and met him several times in my life, although not for about 6 years now. He was a great man, a true inspiration for anyone, whether they had an interest in Astronomy or not...

He was the legend that was Sir Patrick and few people live up to the legend that surrounds them. A man from a lost generation, the likes of which the world is very much the poorer for losing. I hope that his home is turned into a Museum to remember him...it's an amazing treasure trove of information and astronomical history.

A very sad day.

• Like 4

We have all lost a favourite uncle, a man who took us by the hand and showed us the wonders of the night sky.

There is a little piece of something that is gone from us all and never to return.

With Sir Patrick's amazing work on mapping the moon, work that was essential to the Apollo moon landings, it is only fitting that a crater on the moon is given the designation Moore, something on the near side so that he is always looking down on us.

RIP uncle Patrick.

Paul

• Like 4

I hope that his home is turned into a Museum to remember him...it's an amazing treasure trove of information and astronomical history.

Now that is a good idea - perhaps his estate executors, the BBC and the National Trust could get together...?

They would not be short of treasures to exhibit from his days in the RAF, Music, Astronomy, TV and Radio broadcasts (even the home TV studio the BBC set-up), the masses of literature and drawings, even his political views.

The garden and his beloved telescopes could be on display with limited evening viewing opportunities and perhaps a small planetarium...?

That would be a fitting tribute to the man...

Edited by TakMan
  • Like 5