Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Help needed in Telecope choice!!!

Hello each and all. I've been into astronomy for a few years now,but i have only recently come into a position to buy a 'scope. My missus :whip2: has finally caved in and so here i am,asking for advice from those that know. :D

I've got around £650 to spend,and although I've read through as many posts on here and any other site i can find,I'm still none the wiser as to what to go for.

I've narrowed my choices down to the following telescopes,but if there are others out there that I've missed,please do point me in the right direction.

In no particular order....

1)Orion Optics 200mm f/6 Deluxe(I've read on here that the tube is somewhat easily dented!)

2)Celestron C8-N(I know it's well under budget but could get mucho accessories!!)

3)Celestron C10-N

4)Celestron C8- N GT(I've read that the motors are fairly noisy)

5)Skywatcher Explorer 200P (HEQ5)(Never even considered this until i read about it on some posts on here,seems a good buy.

I'm really not that bothered by any GoTo capabilities,to me,half the fun is actually spending the time to star hop and find whatever it is you're trying to find!!!

So,thats it then. Any advice/help/guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers. :lol:

LS

Does the OO come with the Vixen GPD2 mount and wooden tripod?

I have an OO 200mm F6 scope and it is a great piece of kit.

You can't really go wrong with any of these. The F6 OO may be slightly better for lunar & planets as the focal length is F6.

Cheers

Ian

Hi LS - welcome to SGL,

I have your option 4 - no problems and does me fine. I note your comments about GOTO but it is very convenient.

However, in hindsight and after being a member at SGL for a few months I think I would have gone for Option 5 as per Moondog's suggestion!!

Cheers

Bill£ :D

Thanks for all the advice thus far. As of this moment I'm leaning more towards the Skywatcher. I know that within a few months of trying to find things I'll regret not having any GoTo capability,but at least i can upgrade if the need arises. I do like the OO,but a lot of that is probably to do with the fact that they are a British company and I'm a sentimental git like that!!! :?

Once again,thanks for the advice.

Cheers,

Jon

Archived