Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

greeting from japan

the1mccloud

hi my name is kyle. i have been intrested in science as long as i can remember. then one day i discovered a show called the universe. after seeing one episode i was hooked. after watching it for many season i came to the realization that this is what i want to do with my life. so i started buying books on astronomy, cosmology, and physics. i have built up a good deal of knowledge about how the universe works and all the amazing things the universe contains. (supernovea probably being my favorite). i was in the middle of the ocean one night and i looked up a saw orion. i pointed out my favorite star (betelguese) to my friend and he ask me what it looks like through a telescope. then i was slammed with thought of "i have never even looked through a telescope let alone seen a planet or star." so now this is my next step. i look forward to learning about stargazing and having others to talk to about astronomy. thank you.

p.s. sorry yall if that was long but im bored with nothing else to do.

-wishing you clear skies,

kyle

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A welcome to SGL from me too Kyle. Astronomy is a way of life for all, and age matters not.

I call it a way of life, because hobby doesn't seem to do it justice.

It is enjoyable even without a telescope, but binoculars are always a good way to explore the Milky Way.

There are many Deep Sky objects in Our Galaxy, and binoculars will be an aid to locating them.

Of course a good telescope can really open the mind to the wonders of Deep space, where other Galaxies abide in their Millions.

Not all of them visible though :smiley: .

Observing any star with a telescope will not show it other than a point of light, even though some stars are millions of miles in Diameter. They are all far too many light years away to be resolved into a disc.

What is fascinating though, is most of the Milky Way stars are in fact double stars, or even mutiple systems.

A telescope will enhance the colours too, which indicates their spectral classes.

Some lovely examples of coloured doubles can be seen too, such as the beautiful Albireo also called Beta Cygni, the head of the Swan Cygnus.Alpha Andromeda is another lovely pair, and many more to be located. Some amateurs make Double Star recording a big part of their astronomy.

Anyway I prattle on too much

Enjoy your stay on SGL and if you need any help, just ask and you'll get lots of responses.

Ron.

Welcome Kyle. You're in the right place here for friendly help and advice when you come to decide what equipment to start off with. There's certainly nothing wrong with eyeballs and binoculars to start learning the night sky. Getting familiar with star positions and arrangements through the seasons is a great help in finding those amazing objects out there. I wish I'd started earlier.

Good luck, and keep in touch :smiley:

Jason

Archived