Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Fits liberater

allcart

Anyone any experience with fits liberater.

Apparently you can use it to save the RG&B colour components seperately like you can with Nebulosity but I can't work out how. On the processing tab there is a menu that shows 3 image planes. Apparently these 3 image planes represent red, green and blue, but when I save them individually they all show as grey in photoshop.

Am I missing something?

They will save as greyscale - this is correct. However, if you open a blank RGB image of the same size and select 'Channels', you can copy and past each of the Red, Green and Blue data into the respective channel in the blank RGB image thus creating a full colour RGB image.

Thats kind of what I thought. I would then have to change the mode to RGB. Will I then have to add colour to the channels?

What Is not explained in any user guides is what happens when you don't save all 3 image planes . When you load a pic into fits liberator, the default settings are 'image 1, plane 1'. So for instance; I load a fits file from DSS and stretch it . I then save that file once, what have I got? ....Just the red channel, or all 3 in a greyscale image?

Just to be clear, I am using images from my dslr, which I believe is the same as one shot colour.

OK, save each of the three images as individual files with the names, 'red', 'green' and 'blue'

Open your image processing software - example here is PhotoShop.

1. Load the three images into PS. Select one of them, type Ctrl A followed by Ctrl C.

2. Click on File - New and choose colour mode RGB

3. Select Channels

4. Click on the 'menu' button at the top right hand corner

5. Select 'Merge Channels'

6. Choose colour mode RGB

7. Select the relevant data files to assemble the colour image.

still no luck with this. I have tried various methods from web tutorials, even the one from Liberator website and still cannot get an image that can be worked on. i even used the ps plugin from the Fits website and still can't get it to work with a fits file from DSS. Even running the DSS file through Nebulosity and saving the RGB components from there does not help.

I am seriously frustrated.

What is it you want to achieve especially?

If you have managed to produce three X greyscale images then you have all it takes to put them back together into an RGB file as Steve explains above. Dont worry that they start off all being grey, they are different and produce different tones when combined as RGB.

There are varying ways to colourise them in Photoshop, some use the colourise tab. Personally I use Registar which has a great "Merge to RGB" function, you just tell it which file goes to which channel and voilá!

Allan, if you are taking your DSLR files, why are you splitting them into colour panes and then recombining? You have no need to do that from a DSLR, the colour panes are already aligned and combined into an RGB image. Just save it as a 16bit tiff and open it in PS.

Didn't know that :) I sometimes duplicate and combine all the colour panes then desaturate into a psuedo-luminance and process like an LRGB but haven't separated them out. If I do work on one independently I normally just isolate it in the channels pallet.

Archived