Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

eye 'floaters' obscuring planet detail - are my eye's weird?

as this is a eye related thread, are there any problems that can occour when using glasses? i have blurry vision when not wearing my glasses...would this bring up a problem when i get my first scope in a few weeks?

As above normal short / long sight isn't a problem as that is catered for by the action of bringing the view into focus using the focusing mechanism. Your focus point would be different to someone with perfect vision but who cares.

Astigmatism is the reason many of us need to wear glaases to observe. I understand that if you have a very large budget you could buy Televue kit that has adjustments for it. Way way out of my budget so know little about them. For the rest of us it's a case of making sure that we buy Eye Pieces with high 'Eye Relief' - usually 16mm or more but if you wear glasses positioned close to your eye and with quite thin lenses you may be able to cope with less.

You don't say what scope you are getting but the EP's supplied by Skywatcher ( 10mm and 25mm) I know are fine with glasses for me.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Floaters: a great reason to buy a bigger mirror. You'll have a larger exit pupil for the same power. Brighter image (which does increase detail). Fewer floaters.

Yep, same as that. The smaller the exit pupil the worse it gets. I only use my refractor for open clusters and binary and multiple star systems these days.

Archived