Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First crack at M42

coxy322

On Wednesday this week I was spying Jupiter and was blown away by the first sighting of the red spot. The seeing was so good I decided to wait up and shoot Orion's Nebula, I have huge trees to the South East which means it was around 1130 that I could begin. It was so cold and frost was beginning to build everywhere!

So here it is, first attempt at M42. Thought I’d share it…

Description on link.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/astrocox/8247860983/in/photostream

8247860983_5ec605fdfb_b_d.jpg

Shot using Canon 1100d, total 10.5min. It's a little noisy but am in awe of the colours and the silky cloud.

That is a lovely image of M42, especially as the core isn't too burnt out, and the colours are gorgeous. A great result, especially from only 10 minutes of data! :hello2:

Thanks for the comments - I had aimed to get 30 frames but 16 of them had either slight or bad star movement. So I ended up with 14x 45s frames that were spot on. Can anybody explain why this happens, if the eq5 alignment was out surely all frames would have movement?

When observing and zoomed into Jupiter at high magnification I noticed that it moved quite a bit when a lorry passed the back of my garden... how much could this sort of environmental and wind cause movement? How can I combat it? I do the photography from indoors via Remote Desktop so there is no danger of me causing it.

Re the quality of the image I must stress that the seeing was the best I'd experienced for a long time, maybe ever. Jupiter was excellent through a blue filter, there were moments where the atmosphere lifted for what felt like seconds; enabling perfect clear and a stable image. Awesome detail around the spot and the blue marbles scattered around the entire planet etc was seen at 170x mag.

Archived