Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

C8 questions

Kev... my 2" SCT diagonal is not that much longer than the original 1.25" vb+diagonal - I can measure these later if you like - so unless the mount is REALLY tight for clearance you should be OK.

Of course, don't rush - the universe isn't going anywhere :cool: I've observed the Double Cluster with my C8 and 20mm Nagler (0.8 degree FOV) and it just about eeks in, but there's no extra space around the edges.

If you mount the ST80 securely and align it with the main scope it should make a good finder and wide field scope... just remember that as you approach the C8's striking range, it should give better views because of the greater aperture. You also have the option of trying the bundled finder scope 6x30(?) should be fine to get going... try it and see how you get on :) You can always think about mounting the ST80 later on.

The main thing is to enjoy your scope(s)... accessorising can be fun too, and enhance the experience going forward, but it sounds like you'll have everything to get going with :cool:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kev

As Dunkster has mentioned, the clearance for attaching a 2" diagonal with or without a visual back will be fine. I fit an SCT type - Revelation 2" Dielectric, directly to the rear cell, so no additional visual back. The only problem might occur if you later aim to include a crayford focuser (between the rear cell and diagonal) when it might become a bit tight (or at least check clearance measurement first). However the stock focuser is usually very good and any longer term aim to upgrade to a duel speed are quite straight forward.

OK I'm a late arrival at this particular ball but here's my take; an 8 inch SCT OTA is much easier to move around than an 8 inch Newt. However, it needs an EQ or sophisticated AZ mount. An 8 inch Newt only needs a Dob mount. This reverses the portability/simplicity/computer freedom issues of both scopes and the Dob becomes lighter, simpler, faster than the mounted

C8. Am I missing something?

Olly

I think that would be correct John, the Nexstar provides a combination between old and new design - so is effectively a successor to models such as the Celestar, which at the time, was marketed at affordability. The Celestar was only available for a few years in the mid 1990's, so the Nexstar altaz series has been a consistently popular and successful design, as it was first introduced around 2006.

Mine to has provided some incredible views of Saturn. I had considered certain modifications such as changing the mount to a CG5, but I am pleased that I have kept it the way it is because quite frankly, I like the ease of setting up and use and for many reasons intend to continue enjoying using it for a long time to come.

I think you have made a slight error as I have a nexstar 5 dating from 1999 and I believe the nexstar 8 followed shortly after. I think the 2006 date refers to the se version of the mount which is the 3rd incarnation of this alt az mount following the nexstar i series and the original nexstar

post-4536-0-25507700-1359663393.gif

Oh. Just received this from FLO which rather seems to scupper everything:

Re the the C8 OTA, there is no way to attach these to a fork, the fork OTA has special adapters in the tube, the one you showed me has been adapted to take the brackets at the side by the looks of it. If you did this with a new one then it would invalidate any warranty they are just designed to fit via dovetails to the EQ mounts.

:crybaby2:

Sorry, forgot my manners while sulking and stropping ;)

Thanks Dunkster, Michael and scarp for the feedback. Sooner or later I'll need to cover this ground whichever scope route I end up going, so it's going to help then even if not now.

Olly, I got the impression the C8 would be easier to store and lug and transport than a dob, and the Celestar option seemed to give hassle-free tracking which helps my experience and makes it easier to share views with my partner and friends without having to rush changeovers or have them figure out manual tracking. I'm energy-limited myself which intensifies the transport and tracking concerns for me. Power and computer support feels OTT, but a 9v battery I can cope with!

While I'm still hoping for a miracle solution, FLO seem to be pretty reliable so I won't hold my breath.

In which case it's (forcibly) back to plan A : bring my ST80 to SGL8 and ogle lay hands on casually look over other people's scopes :)

OK I'm a late arrival at this particular ball but here's my take; an 8 inch SCT OTA is much easier to move around than an 8 inch Newt. However, it needs an EQ or sophisticated AZ mount. An 8 inch Newt only needs a Dob mount. This reverses the portability/simplicity/computer freedom issues of both scopes and the Dob becomes lighter, simpler, faster than the mounted

C8. Am I missing something?

Olly

There is no reason a C8 OTA could not sit comfortably on a SkyTee, or Giro-II mount or similar. As simple to set up as a dob, way more compact than your typical 8" F/6 OTA, and usually no collimation issues (which you most certainly have on collapsible truss-tube dobs). The fact that C8s are usually sold on advanced mounts does not mean they do not fit simple ones.

Even my old GP mount can be set up in 5 minutes flat (for visual you only need to point the polar axis north, and set altitude according to your latitude (and that does generally not change much). If I do not want to carry a big, rechargeable battery pack, a 6 C-cell battery holder will suffice (or I just use it manually).

• 1 month later...

So, I eventually made it to SGL8 and did, as expected, ogle some scopes :)

There was a deforked C8 OTA there, of unknown vintage, which I could have used for the original Celestar mount plan. However it seemed a bit heavier than I would have thought and £400 seemed a lot for it - just my impression from looking at the condition of it.

Instead the dob mob - primarily Nick/cotterless45 - got a hold of me and I was swayed by the lure...

So I've just ordered an 8" Skyliner dob from FLO :)

I hope I meant to do that, I think I did ;)

:D :D :D

Archived