Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Orion Nebula through a 10 inch Dobsonian

John

In the early hours of this morning the skies cleared and, rather than turn in, I stuck my Skyliner 250PX dob on the patio to cool for 30 mins or so before I had a look at Orion rising in the east.

M42, the Orion Nebula, looked superb through my 24mm Panoptic - loads of texture, dark rifts etc, and I'm sure I detected a faint greenish colour to the central regions of the nebula.

Through the 13mm Nagler things looked even better with the nebula filling the entire field of view. I focussed carefully on the Trapezium and the 4 main stars were very clear of course but, for the 1st time ever for me, I could make out the E and F componants close to 2 of the brighter componants. The E & F stars are 10th magnitiude but are close to much brighter stars so difficult to pick out. My 9mm and 7mm Naglers made spotting these faint members of the group that little bit easier.

Overall a superb hours observing - roll on winter when Orion rises at a more civilsed time !.

John

Great account of the view session John. There's no denying it, and early morning October swim in the great Nebula is just the tonic a doctor would not have in his medicine bag. Good man, you have set the scene for the coming months when scopes by the hundred will be scanning those magical clouds and young stars.

Ron. :D

......There's no denying it, and early morning October swim in the great Nebula is just the tonic a doctor would not have in his medicine bag.....

Nice turn of phrase Ron :lol:

Mind you it did not feel quite so good when I had to get out of bed this morning after only 4 hours sleep :D

Lucky I did not have to drive anywhere today.

John

Archived