Something to sit on

I was wondering what anyone uses to park thier backside on to get a comfy view in the ep. I have seen an adjustable chair at some or other website but thats coming in at 89 quid. http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&tbo=d&q=adjustable+observing+chair&revid=502148737&sa=X&ei=AGjCUL3FFaS50QWkjYHABg&ved=0CGUQ1QIoAQ&biw=480&bih=268#miuv=1

So what has any of you more inventive people come up with as a cut price option?

Steve

Got a small step that works well - me & OH can sit on it to look through the dob, kids can stand on it to look through the astromaster at our comfortable viewing height. A foam garden kneeler makes it more comfortable to sit on & isolates me from the cold! Cheap option & works well for us :grin:

Moonshane's idea is the best and there are a couple of threads within the DIY equipment section that offer plans and some good advice on how to make one. There was some a good plan in the Sky@Night magazine a couple of months ago and it might even be detailed on their website.

Apart from dark skies, sitting down at the eyepiece is another thing that we can do that can benefit what we see through our scopes.

Clear skies

James

Like the idea of the drum stoll, simple, lightweight and reasonably adjustable. Depends what your viewing I guess. If its high up, your gonna be standing anyway, but lower than about 45 degree and it would be ok.

I like your seat shane, will see what it looks like next week.

Thats why those chairs are like £89 when bought. Lightweight and prtable and also easy to fold away. Get what you pay for I guess.

although my drum stool was cheap it does the job, but if you spend a bit more you can get drum thrones with swivel height adjustment and back rests,still cheaper than the one googled by half.

mine adjusts with a nut and bolt, so not ideal, but i rarley change height anyways.

I picked up one of these ironing stools at a car boot sale. Height adjustable, but I have it set just a little higher than a regular garden chair and I can view from my horizon to the zenith using a 250PX Dob without having to adjust it. A real steal at only £3 :)

I picked up one of these ironing stools at a car boot sale. Height adjustable, but I have it set just a little higher than a regular garden chair and I can view from my horizon to the zenith using a 250PX Dob without having to adjust it. A real steal at only £3 :)

Now that I like, gonna have a think about that but at less than 30 quid, I say its a bargain. Yes I know I can make one for cheaper out of off cuts, but I dont have any offcuts atm and why bother honestly at a snip like that, think thats me sorted....

Archived