Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SynScan AZ updating - am I missing the obvious?

Andromeda72

I have been trying now for some time, to update my Synscan AZ handset firmware, for use on a Skymax127. The current firmware is series 1.7. So far, I have connected the handset to my laptop (windows 7). I have tried to follow the instructions in the Skywatcher AZ GOTO Instruction Manual and gone to the website to download and save the firmware downloader, so far, without success. However, I have managed to download the 2.7 version firmware but have been unable to open it and use it without purchasing (£25) and downloading a Winzip opening package! I do object to this and have not done so. Hence my question. Am I missing something very simple, or, do I really have to buy an opening package in order to use the upgrade?

Any help will be very much appreciated. My sanity is at stake!

Most versions of Windows will un zip files. Double click on the folder then select 'extract all files' and see if that works. Other than that there are quite a free freeware un zippers you can download. Good luck.

I have been trying now for some time, to update my Synscan AZ handset firmware, for use on a Skymax127. The current firmware is series 1.7. So far, I have connected the handset to my laptop (windows 7). I have tried to follow the instructions in the Skywatcher AZ GOTO Instruction Manual and gone to the website to download and save the firmware downloader, so far, without success. However, I have managed to download the 2.7 version firmware but have been unable to open it and use it without purchasing (£25) and downloading a Winzip opening package! I do object to this and have not done so. Hence my question. Am I missing something very simple, or, do I really have to buy an opening package in order to use the upgrade?

Any help will be very much appreciated. My sanity is at stake!

I think you've got some numbers wrong there. The most upto date version of the AZ firmware is 3.07 for the AZ-GOTO mount. If your telescope is relatively new there should be no need to update the firmware, you can check the revision number by powering up the handset, normally not for firmware updating, and see what firmware version the handset is using. Windows should be able to unzip the files without the need to purchase Winzip, right click on the .zip file and select the option to extrct the files.

Thanks Peter. It is the 3.07 version that I have downloaded and it arrived in a Zip.

I have the powered-up handset/controller in front of me (having powered up with 0 and 8 depressed. It reads, from left to right - 'SynScan Ver. 1.7 Update'

So that deals with the figures. Interested in your comments. I'll have another go at opening the Zip (which, incidentally, arrived as a WinZip package)

I'll keep you posted.

Peter

Hi Peter,

I've just tried right-clicking on the download. It doesn't give me any options to 'Extract' or anything similar. If I try to do anything else from there, I end up back at the 'buy WinZip to unzip your download' pop-up!

I don't know what to do next. Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Peter

Thanks Peter. It is the 3.07 version that I have downloaded and it arrived in a Zip.

I have the powered-up handset/controller in front of me (having powered up with 0 and 8 depressed. It reads, from left to right - 'SynScan Ver. 1.7 Update'

So that deals with the figures. Interested in your comments. I'll have another go at opening the Zip (which, incidentally, arrived as a WinZip package)

I'll keep you posted.

Peter

Synscan Ver 1.7 Update refers to another part of the hardware, if you power up the handset without pressing 0 and 8 you will see the firmware version, which will probably be 3.07.

Thank you for your attempts to steer me in the correct direction. I have done everything as recommended but winrar does not want to open the download either. I keep getting the same message, after several fresh attempts from the beginning, to the effect that there is some reason why opening is not possible. I do not like accepting that I cannot achieve that which appears so simple. Nor do I find it easy when I do not understand what I am doing wrong. Maybe it's my age!?

Right now, I feel I have taken up enough of your time (and mine) so will leave it as version 3.06 until I get a flash of inspiration.

Thank you for trying. Much appreciated.

Peter

Thank you both. The file was just over 400k. I deleted everything that I had previously downloaded from the SkyWatcher support website and started again from scratch. The main difference was that this time I had no problem downloading the Firmware Loader. Having done this, the rest just fell into place; the update downloaded and opened automatically and then updated the controller.

I think that my failure to download the Firmware Loader, for whatever reason, has been the cause of my difficulty. Anyway, mission accomplished. Thank you for your help and encouragement. Had it not been for your latest posts on this subject, I had sttled for leaving things as they were.

Archived