Help me choose the right telescope!

Hello, this is my first post on here and i'm very new to astronomy, so do bear with me!

I'm planning to get my boyfriend a telescope for Crimbo, he's never had one before, but has used various telescopes lots of times during his science degrees... he's a big science geek and space is favourite aspect of science, so I know it's a gift that will go down very well.

I don't want to get him vouchers or money towards one, as we have a shared income anyway and we wouldn't be able to afford more than I can spend on my own. I plan to save up to buy a real super duper snazzy one in a few years time, but want to get one that will be fun and bridge the gap until that point.

C was talking about scopes last night and said he would like a Dobsonian (but when I asked him what other types there were he had forgotton) and he said he wants to see the rings of saturn. So I want a scope that can do that basically!

I have narrowed it down to the following three:

1. Heritage 130P FlexTube Dobsonian

http://www.amazon.co.uk/HERITAGE-130P-FlexTube-Dobsonian/dp/B0039ZM14Q/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1354879741&sr=8-9

2. Skywatcher Infinity 76P 300

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SkyWatcher-Infinity-76P-300-Telescope/dp/B003CXMOAQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1354879856&sr=8-2

and the one I had settled on (after weeks of research!!) before C said he wants a Dobsonian:

3. Celestron Astromaster 130EQ

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Celestron-31045-Astromaster-130EQ/dp/B000MLL6RS/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1354879946&sr=1-1

So, ramble over, which is going to be the best buy for seeing Saturns rings and other exciting things?

Many thanks in advance,

F x

welcome to sgl the celestron is not a bad scope but the mount is not very steady and the finder has a bad reputation. The heritage dob has the same good optics as the celestron a better finder and a more stable base but it will need to be rested on a table for viewing. We have a lot of heritage users on this site it's very popular and well respected and yes it will see the rings of saturn and jupiter and it's moons and quite a lot else. I would go for the heritage or the celestron with the heritage being my preference. Hopefully we'll be meeting your man after christmas. Good luck

Yes, I would have chosen the Heritage 130p. It's a fine intstrument and the mount is very simple and intuitive to use. It doesnt "look like" a telescope since it hasn't got the traditional tripod, but the optics are really fine considering the size of the kit, so don't be fooled by appearances. Considering the price, the 130p is a beast.

Thanks everyone, looks like the decision is made! It does look pretty impressive from my untrained eye.... i'm amazed how much i've learnt about telescopes in the past couple of weeks!

couple of little questions .... will I need to get a moon filter to see the moon at its best with the heritage? if so, which one? also, any other accessories which are deemed essential/ pretty damn useful?

Cheers guys!

Hello

A moon filter is nice sometimes, but some people dont bother with them. You could easily wait, and get one later.

I don't think you need to worry about collimation. Most serious retailers pre-collimate telescopes, and since the 130p is so small compared, it doesnt loose collimation easily.

However this book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Turn-Left-Orion-Hundreds-Telescope/dp/0521153972 Turn left at Orion is a good guide on what to find and what to expect to see with the telescope, since many people get fooled into thinking that the pictures they show in the ads represent what the scope will show you. It usually doesnt, and that can put people off when they expect hubble class visuals a small telescope. This book is a good guide and gives a good idea what to expect.

On the other hand, if he already is a science/space buff he knows what to expect, so in this case, it might not be needed....

I think you're good with just the scope for now. Set it up and enjoy the night sky, and take it from there. And dont forget the Jaffa Cakes.

The only thing fairly essential is this http://www.firstlightoptics.com/collimation/cheshire-collimating-eyepiece.html

The heritage should be fine out of the box but occasionally mirrors come out of alignment (collimation) this helps get them straight again. Anything else is an optional extra and it's probably better for him to look through the scope before buying eyepieces and things.

Thank you Carl for all you help!

I think I will get just the scope and then C can choose his own accessories for what he wants to be able to see and such like! I might have to wrap up a box of jaffa cakes to go with the scope! Astronomer food!

I already ordered Phillip's guide to Stargazing 2013, as C knows where everything is in the sky... (he's always pointing stuff out to me, I nod and look impressed!) but I thought he'd appreciate a guide to the 'big events' not to be missed throughout the year! Think he already has an app on his iPad that you point at the sky and it tells you what you can see!

I'm so excited to see his face on Christmas morning and to see the moon and saturn on Christmas night! Let's hope it's clear!

Thank you Carl for all you help!

I think I will get just the scope and then C can choose his own accessories for what he wants to be able to see and such like! I might have to wrap up a box of jaffa cakes to go with the scope! Astronomer food!

I already ordered Phillip's guide to Stargazing 2013, as C knows where everything is in the sky... (he's always pointing stuff out to me, I nod and look impressed!) but I thought he'd appreciate a guide to the 'big events' not to be missed throughout the year! Think he already has an app on his iPad that you point at the sky and it tells you what you can see!

I'm so excited to see his face on Christmas morning and to see the moon and saturn on Christmas night! Let's hope it's clear!

I am sorry but It will not be clear all new astronomical gear is packed in clouds which escape when the box is opened. have yourself a very merry christmas

Archived