Banner.jpg.39bf5bb2e6bf87794d3e2a4b88f26f1b.jpg

The Pleiades - M45 (yarp)

Bob Andersson

Hi folks,

Thanks.

@Tom - Fair comment. With the lack of deep subs other than the blue ones the best I could do was let the colour wash towards grey for the faint bits. With the limited imaging time the UK weather currently imposes I won't be returning to M45 until next season at the earliest but when I do some deep red (and green) is on the list.

Bob.

I think this is the most amazing M45 picture I've ever seen.

Do you think those high frequency ripples are real structure, or some kind of semi-artefact due to processing? If they are real, I wonder what kind of physical process will make such highly complex but kind of coherent pattern!

Hi Andreas,

I believe them to be real but I have significantly enhanced their visibility during processing. I have a feeling that the cause is (supersonic?) shock waves as the Pleiades encounter the gas they now illuminate but my memory might be playing me false. If you Google with that phrase plus Pleiades you should be able to prove me right or wrong.

Bob.

That's better Bob. Tom is right, the blue needs reigning in, but your red and green subs will help pull that around as you say. You've done really well to get all that nebulosity showing up, that's not easy from the UK, impossible where I live.

As for the artifacts in the nebulosity, they are one of those things that can be made to stand out with processing, but they can also be made to look 'wrong' and out of place. It's a bit subjective because what pleases one person will look awful to another. The ripples and wisps in the nebula are there, how much contrast and sharpening goes into them is your choice really. I quite like the extra detail being brought out, but the overall preference if you take all the sites like APOD seems to be for a softer approach.

Here's a close up from a pro scope to illustrate those wisps.

Keep up the good work :)

Tim

m45.jpg

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Similar Content

• By tompato
      As the post title suggests, these are the results from the first clear night I have had with the Evoguide 50ed with the Starizona EvoFF V2 field Flattener. I just did an hour's worth of data on Andromeda and Pleiades.
      I forgot to use my new light pollution filter with the Andromeda photos and it meant I had to refocus for the Pleiades which also meant my flats I took the next day could only be used with the Pleiades but I think it came out okay anyway.
      Andromeda - ISO 800, 40 x 90secs, 20 darks and bias frames, stacked in DSS, processed in GIMP.
      Pleiades - ISO 800, 40 x 90secs, 20 dark, flat and bias frames, Svbony UHC clip in filter, stacked in DSS, processed in GIMP.
      I don't think my Skyguider unguided at 242mm focal length can really manage 90 secs with my alignment anyway. I think in future I'll go back to 60 second photos, as I did get some oval shape stars in these.
      But I do think it shows how the Evoguide 50ed with the EvoFF field Flattener is a capable little budget setup.

• By KevinPSJ
      M45 Pleiades. 12min 30s total exposure (45s subs, unguided). ISO 100 at F/5 using Nikon D3200 at primefocus on skywatcher 150P. Taken around moonrise (1 day after full) on Feb 28, 2021.  Stacked with darks and flats in Siril and then processed in Startools.
    • By AstroRuz
      Managed to get an extremely rare clear sky last night, and although I had some rather bizarre equipment issues, I eventually fell back to using my Canon 80D (stock) as the imaging camera. I intended to use no filter but I forgot my IDAS NGS1 was fitted. So yeah, ended up using a filter on a reflection nebula!

75 x 120s, ISO 800, Canon 80D, Sky-Watcher Evostar 80ED, IDAS NGS1, Sky-Watcher EQ6-R Pro, APT, DSS & PS
      This was stacked without bias frames. It was also edited at 4am. So I'm restacking now that I've taken my bias and I'll go again at editing it. Maybe add some more time on it in the future perhaps. Oh, and tone that blue down a hair I think. I can see filter reflections also cus the stars are so bright. I hate that  
      Thoughts?
      Thanks for looking  

• By gorann
      This is 3.5 hours of data with the RASA 8 and ASI2600MC (105 x 2 min at gain 100, -10°C) on a NEQ6. There is apparently quite a bit of dust around M45 that I have not noticed before. I am pleased to see how deep this telescope/camera combination can go in a few hours. A dark site (Bortle 2-3) helps of course. Stacked in PI and mainly processed in PS, as usual.
      EDIT: I now added a second version of the image, inspired by Olly's reprocessing of his data, where I have sharpened the image more (mainly HiPass filtering and LCE in PS), getting closer to the limit of what the data can support.

• By KevinPSJ
      M45 Pleiades. Captured using Nikon D3200 at prime focus of Skywatcher 150P on EQ3-2 with RA motor tracking (no guiding). Total of 79 x 10s subs at ISO 800 aligned and stacked in DeepSkyStacker to give 7min 20s. Processed in StarTools.
      Thin and high cloud for some of the subs. Taken at 3:30am on Sunday morning Aug 30, 2020.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.