Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Pleiades - M45 (yarp)

Bob Andersson

Hi folks,

Thanks.

@Tom - Fair comment. With the lack of deep subs other than the blue ones the best I could do was let the colour wash towards grey for the faint bits. With the limited imaging time the UK weather currently imposes I won't be returning to M45 until next season at the earliest but when I do some deep red (and green) is on the list.

Bob.

I think this is the most amazing M45 picture I've ever seen.

Do you think those high frequency ripples are real structure, or some kind of semi-artefact due to processing? If they are real, I wonder what kind of physical process will make such highly complex but kind of coherent pattern!

Hi Andreas,

I believe them to be real but I have significantly enhanced their visibility during processing. I have a feeling that the cause is (supersonic?) shock waves as the Pleiades encounter the gas they now illuminate but my memory might be playing me false. If you Google with that phrase plus Pleiades you should be able to prove me right or wrong.

Bob.

That's better Bob. Tom is right, the blue needs reigning in, but your red and green subs will help pull that around as you say. You've done really well to get all that nebulosity showing up, that's not easy from the UK, impossible where I live.

As for the artifacts in the nebulosity, they are one of those things that can be made to stand out with processing, but they can also be made to look 'wrong' and out of place. It's a bit subjective because what pleases one person will look awful to another. The ripples and wisps in the nebula are there, how much contrast and sharpening goes into them is your choice really. I quite like the extra detail being brought out, but the overall preference if you take all the sites like APOD seems to be for a softer approach.

Here's a close up from a pro scope to illustrate those wisps.

Keep up the good work :)

Tim

m45.jpg

Archived