Skywatcher 130p

Hi guys/gals

Ok looking to buy myself and my 8 year old daughter our first telescope, been looking at a few and this seems to have good reviews, im a keen photographer myself and would love to get into astrophotography but at the mo were just starting out so any advice would be aprieciated, budget is max £200. weve got a few pairs of 10x50 bino's which weve been using over the last month or so, and weve managed to spot jupiter and its 4 moons, and im sure i made out the adromeda galaxy the other night, looked like a very faint smudge in the sky, nearly broke my neck looking at it for so long lol, and then last night we spotted the very faint orion nebula, so this is all very exciting to us and we just looking forward to buying a scope now,but i get the feeling im going to get bombarded with recommendation of the 200p dob ;)

Many Thanks Andy & Abigail

I have the Skywatcher 130m ( yours will have a parabolic mirror which deals with CA better) I'm very happy with mine, Jupiter always looks amazing with good cloud bands seen & Orion neb (M42) is gorgeous too, so I think you've made a good choice which will keep u both interested for quite a while. ps wish I could interest my 9yr old in astronomy but his interest is football which unfortunatly drives me to insane :eek: haha. Good luck with what you finally settle on. :smiley:

Hi Andy, you're right, it is really tempting to say "go for the biggest dob you can afford", but if you are going to use it with your daughter, then the 130P is going to be smaller and easier to handle, and in those circumstances, I would say the 130P is a good bet for you both. The only problem might be if you get much more enthusiastic about it than your daughter does; I guarantee that you will then hanker after a bigger scope :Envy:

Thanks for all the replys peeps, just a question ive been offerd a skywatcher 130p kit, but only has one 10mm eyepiece, in mint condition hardly used for £60 would this be worth buying or should i buy new?

Thanks Andy

Thanks for all the replys peeps, just a question ive been offerd a skywatcher 130p kit, but only has one 10mm eyepiece, in mint condition hardly used for £60 would this be worth buying or should i buy new?

Thanks Andy

Get in quick before he changes his mind.

Good luck.

Archived