Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep28_banner.thumb.jpg.b94278254f44dd38f3f7ee896fe45525.jpg

Gina

Horses Head in Ha - First light Atik 314L+

That is coming along nicely! I don't know about you but I tried the horsehead a year or two back and just couldn't get enough data to stop the bright area above the horsehead from looking noisy...

James

Well done Gina, congratulations on your Atik314L. I look forward to seeing how you get on with combining filters.

The longer subs version is looking great.

Carole

Thank you Carole :) The results of combining can be seen in my M42 thread. Equipment playing up is stopping me getting longer subs ATM so I'm just using what's working and I'll look into it tomorrow. Edited by Gina

That is coming along nicely! I don't know about you but I tried the horsehead a year or two back and just couldn't get enough data to stop the bright area above the horsehead from looking noisy...

James

Thank you James :) Yes, it seems you need a fair amount of data for that. I think at least 5 minute subs and preferably several times that. Longer subs certainly seem to result in a cleaner final image.

Hi Gina,

Lovely image and so pleased you got you're 414+. A GOLD one to boot.....

Problem with getting a new camera is akin to landing on a snake in the game of snakes and ladders. Now where did I put that drawing board......

cheers

Steve

Thank you :) Yes, it's a lovely camera :) And yes, it does present one or two problems :D But I like a challenge :)

Very nice. I want to have another go at this one but I have so much I want to image it will have to wait. Good job it's not going anywhere :)

Thank you :) Yes indeed, there is a lot out there to image. It'll be around for quite a while, yes :)

Thank you Chris :) I decided to give myself a real treat and splash out on the cash! Not only a decent CCD but matching filter wheel and top-notch NB filters, though only 2 so far. These will keep me going for years so a reasonable investment, I think :D But I shall be doing some more 1100D imaging soon. In fact I did some last night - widefield with SMC Takumar 200mm f4 telephoto on Orion's Sword while I was doing some intermediate M42s. In fact last night was quite productive :) Mind you I was fully underway by 7pm and didn't finish until 1am. Lost some imaging time when the netbook locked up halfway through and lost 40 minutes rebooting and setting everything up again.

Good for you Gina:) as you say you'll certainly get your moneys worth with how much use you'll get from it. Congrats on a producive night also, I cought a quick look at the widefield you did after my night shift and it looked great!, I hope to be doing some 200mm lens work soon now I've got a TS dual mounting bar, I can have the ED80 or Wo66 one side and the 200mm Canon lens the other, or the ED80 and 66 together:) not sure how easy it would be to combine data friom scopes with different focal lengths though, that be a question for the forums:D

I think that was the last clear night we've had :( Now it's just a case of titivating the images and tidying up the equipment - the weather is ghastly! :(

Here's a tweak of the first image,, FWIW :D

post-13131-0-71791300-1356530891_thumb.p

Hi Gina

I hope you don't mind me posting this on your thread but I was struck that your image was remarkably similar to mine in many ways i.e. scale and detail

This was taken on a remote telescope on a mountain (Planewave 12.5" Corrected Dall-Kirkham Astrograph & SBIG STL6303E NABG) with 1 hour of Ha then PP, looks like you and the Atik are doing a good job!

If I can ask, was yours taken with your Evostar 80 ED? I ask because I recently bought an 80mm Apo

post-9935-0-87060400-1357040994_thumb.pn

Well worth the trouble Gina.Beatiful shot.

Is,nt this imaging lark fun.

Mick.

Thank you Mick :) Yes, it is fun (when things go right). I'm loving this new camera (when I get a chance to use it!) :)