Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Horses Head in Ha - First light Atik 314L+

Gina

Great result, Gina. All those lovely new toys !!

Adrian

Thank you :) I've spent so much time and effort on DIY and trying to save money that I thought I'd spoil myself for once having saved up for some time :) Not that I didn't enjoy doing it.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great image Gina. I bet you're pleased. I've had that problem with PHD taking over the show and having to reboot etc... I use AA5 now and that seems much more stable for capture and guiding.

Thank you Francis :) Yes, I have to admit, I am pleased with that image :) I've been dying to image the for a long time.

Have to admit, I do get fed up with PHD at times. When it works, it works fine but when it's in a bad mood it's dreadful :(

top image Gina. Glad to see the 314L is working well.

Just as a side note. I changed from st80 and QHY5/PHD using ST4 port

to a 50mm guide scope with same software but pulse guiding

I get much better results now, may be worth a checking out this little scope

I think the change to pulse guiding made the biggest improvement though

Well done for persevering Gina, it can be so frustrating when things dont go as they should, and the feeling that you could waste a rare clear night just adds to the pressure!

Yes, you're dead right there!
Your picture is sharp, well focused, and has bucketloads of potential. The 314+ is extremely capable and you will find that getting great results is just par for the course with that camera.
Thank you :) Yes, the 314L+ seems great :)
As far as Ha goes, the longer you can go per exposure, the more detail and contrast is added to the picture, if you get the chance, try a 10, 15 and 20 minute exposure and compare between them, the difference in quality is quite remarkable really.
Yes, I plan to try longer exposures. Having spent most of the evening sorting things out, it was just a relatively quick go at Ha imaging.
BTW, observing your progress and enthusiasm over your time here has been really enjoyable, we just knew you'd soon be knocking out great quality astropics :)

Tim

Very nice of you to say so - thank you :)

Well done for persevering Gina, it can be so frustrating when things dont go as they should, and the feeling that you could waste a rare clear night just adds to the pressure!

Your picture is sharp, well focused, and has bucketloads of potential. The 314+ is extremely capable and you will find that getting great results is just par for the course with that camera.

As far as Ha goes, the longer you can go per exposure, the more detail and contrast is added to the picture, if you get the chance, try a 10, 15 and 20 minute exposure and compare between them, the difference in quality is quite remarkable really.

BTW, observing your progress and enthusiasm over your time here has been really enjoyable, we just knew you'd soon be knocking out great quality astropics :)

Tim

That post contains most of my thoughts too.

Nice post Tim and great to see such quality Gina.

Dave.

top image Gina. Glad to see the 314L is working well.

Thank you :)
Just as a side note. I changed from st80 and QHY5/PHD using ST4 port

to a 50mm guide scope with same software but pulse guiding

I don't use an ST4 port but drive the mount through ASCOM.
I get much better results now, may be worth a checking out this little scope

I think the change to pulse guiding made the biggest improvement though

Thank you :) I might try pulse guiding or might try other software. When PHD with ST80 and QHY5 is working it works very well.

Ohh some ones opened there christmas present very early I see. Great first light with your camera mine is getting dusty now need some nice clear skys for a change. Or mybe I just want to stay warm this winter :D lovely image Gina

Sent from my GT-S5670 using Tapatalk 2

For what it is worth, I would recommend sticking with PHD. The program is extremely capable, and if there is a genuine problem with it, let Craig Stark know and he will fix it, usually very quickly. I have used it successfully with a wide range of telescopes, from little refractors to my C11, and it has performed admirably with every one. If there are foibles, then they are usually user error, or things like poor connections, or not enough power to the USB hub for the cameras. It has to be one of the best free software programs there is!

When you get to try your Oiii filter, choose the darker nights, less than a third of a moon in the sky, and you will get better results. Oiii for the Horsehead is probably not worth doing, neither is Sii, but with some nice LRGB data added in the Horsehead really comes to life, or else keep it as a mono image for the best detail.

Cheers

Tim

Lovely image Gina, am looking fwd to the bi-colour ones :-)

Thanks Andy :) I managed to get some time in doing Ha and OIII on M42 last night but the clouds came in before I'd got the data I wanted. Still I did get 8 Ha and 7 OIII subs of 2m before the clouds stopped play. I also got 25 pairs of 10s for the core but DSS refuses to see any stars and won't work :( The subs looked fine. No problem with the 2m subs with DSS. Now I'm trying to remember/work out how I put the images into the Channels in PS to create a bi-colour image. I might post the Ha and OIII separately till I sort it out.

I was going to do more Ha of the Horses Head after I'd finished 25 pairs of 2m of M42 but that wasn't to be. I can just about get the Flame nebula in the frame with HH so I might do that next clear night.

Ohh some ones opened there christmas present very early I see. Great first light with your camera mine is getting dusty now need some nice clear skys for a change. Or mybe I just want to stay warm this winter :D lovely image Gina

Sent from my GT-S5670 using Tapatalk 2

Thought I'd make use of any clear nights before Christmas, Mark :) Thank you :)

For what it is worth, I would recommend sticking with PHD. The program is extremely capable, and if there is a genuine problem with it, let Craig Stark know and he will fix it, usually very quickly. I have used it successfully with a wide range of telescopes, from little refractors to my C11, and it has performed admirably with every one. If there are foibles, then they are usually user error, or things like poor connections, or not enough power to the USB hub for the cameras. It has to be one of the best free software programs there is!

When you get to try your Oiii filter, choose the darker nights, less than a third of a moon in the sky, and you will get better results. Oiii for the Horsehead is probably not worth doing, neither is Sii, but with some nice LRGB data added in the Horsehead really comes to life, or else keep it as a mono image for the best detail.

Cheers

Tim

Thanks Tim :) Most of the time I find PHD very good :) It may be the computer playing silly Bs.

I got OIII imaging in last night before moonrise so that's alright - came out well :) I didn't think there was much if any OIII or SII in the horeshead. I think I may be able to improve on the above image with more and longer subs, though I'm pretty pleased with what I've got already :)

Great first image Gina, and what a classic object to get the ball rolling

Now you have the taste of the dedicated cooled ccd will this take preference over your

Canon,

Paul

Thank you Paul :) The CCD will take priority for a while I have no doubt but there are objects too big for the CCD with ED80 without focal reducer. I'll have to work out the measurements and see if I can use the FR/FF with the CCD. Also, my old telephoto lenses. Then again, galaxies need wideband imaging so there's another use for my 1100d system until I get a set of LRGB filters.

You could do a pic of the area with your Canon, and then blend the Ha data with that. This works especially well for this target :)

Yes, I was wondering about that :)

Hello Gina,

Congrats on you new toy :)

Great result here, now it's time to go for longer and longer subs, next time try 15 min. you have some lovely detail on the Horsey ;)

Greets,

Luís

Thank you Luis :) I was running 20 minute subs last but something went wrong with the guiding and I had 3 useless subs when I went back out to check, so as it was already 1am I gave up.

Thats so sharp Gina! lovely detail coming out now:) I'll have to stop following this else I'll be after a CCD next:D

Thank you Chris :) I decided to give myself a real treat and splash out on the cash! Not only a decent CCD but matching filter wheel and top-notch NB filters, though only 2 so far. These will keep me going for years so a reasonable investment, I think :D But I shall be doing some more 1100D imaging soon. In fact I did some last night - widefield with SMC Takumar 200mm f4 telephoto on Orion's Sword while I was doing some intermediate M42s. In fact last night was quite productive :) Mind you I was fully underway by 7pm and didn't finish until 1am. Lost some imaging time when the netbook locked up halfway through and lost 40 minutes rebooting and setting everything up again.

Archived