Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Horses Head in Ha - First light Atik 314L+

Gina

After a frustrating evening trying to get things to work properly I concluded last night's session with12 subs of 5m with Astrodon 5nm Ha filter guided, with temp set to -15C. It was a great night for AP - clear and cold. I first went for M33 and got on it quite nicely. But it needed longer exposures than my tracking would accommodate so I started PHD for guiding but that's when things went wrong and M33 shot off the screen! I had to reset everything and then Artemis Capture failed to find the camera. Sorted it out eventually and took a ton of subs on M42 (bright and easy to find) without guidaing then moved the Ha filter into position and refocused for the Horses Head nebula. PHD behaved this time and I was able to take 5m subs with no problem.

post-13131-0-31012300-1354791402_thumb.p

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad that you're getting such promising results with your new camera. They can be frustrating to learn that's for sure!!

Thank you :) Yes, looking good :)
You've not planning on taking this one apart are you?!!
Oh no - definitely not :D

Stunning Gina, Will you be adding any RGB data if the weather permits ?

Thank you :) I might add RGB to show star colours but otherwise it's pretty much all Ha. I'm mainly concentrating on NB first of all with this camera, adding LRGB later. ATM I use the cooled 1100D DSLR for colour as an OSC camera.

thats very good gina look how tight your stars are!!

Thank you :) I did spend quite a while titivating the focus with the image well zoomed in so that's pleasing to read :)

Very promising, the resolution and stars looks very good considering how cropped in you are, really smooth as well! I bet you can't wait to get your hands on that filter wheel:)

Thank you :) The camera is looking very good :) I now have the Atik EFW2 which looks superb :) I hope to be using it next time we get a clear night sky. I've got to sort out a USB feed for it and sort out the power source.

Wow - lovely image Gina - glad that you sorted all the gremlins out in the end. It's nice also to see that my gold Atik 314L+, which you are now the proud owner of, is back in business again delivering lovely images; it had been sitting "on the shelf" for the last 2 months since I bought my 460EX. I'm sure this is just the start of a series of lovely images you'll deliver now you have a CCD at last - keep them coming!

Wow - lovely image Gina - glad that you sorted all the gremlins out in the end. It's nice also to see that my gold Atik 314L+, which you are now the proud owner of, is back in business again delivering lovely images; it had been sitting "on the shelf" for the last 2 months since I bought my 460EX. I'm sure this is just the start of a series of lovely images you'll deliver now you have a CCD at last - keep them coming!

Thanks Martin :) I'm very pleased with the camera and certainly will do my best to produce good images :) I'm very impressed with the Artemis Capture software too :)

Thank you everyone :) Nice stretch Steve :) Have to say, I'm quite pleased with this first Ha attempt and very much with the camera and matching Artemis Capture software. And now I have the OIII filter I can do some bicolour shots when we next get some clear night skies. I now have an Atik EFW2 as well to match :) Been treating myself to some pre-Christmas presents :D

I need to sort out wiring and power feeds, USB etc. too.

Well done for persevering Gina, it can be so frustrating when things dont go as they should, and the feeling that you could waste a rare clear night just adds to the pressure!

Your picture is sharp, well focused, and has bucketloads of potential. The 314+ is extremely capable and you will find that getting great results is just par for the course with that camera.

As far as Ha goes, the longer you can go per exposure, the more detail and contrast is added to the picture, if you get the chance, try a 10, 15 and 20 minute exposure and compare between them, the difference in quality is quite remarkable really.

BTW, observing your progress and enthusiasm over your time here has been really enjoyable, we just knew you'd soon be knocking out great quality astropics :)

Tim

Archived