Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Have you ever seen the Great Red Spot?

Blackheart

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've tried and tried but still i can't see it. I've tried uping the mag, i've tried low mag, sat and watched jupiter for over an hour and a half when i knew the GRS was transiting but still no joy.

I'm beginning to wonder if my scope is just too small to show it?

D.C

Which scope do you have Daz, can't seem to see.

It should be viewable with most scopes, I've seen with a 66mm refractor before, though I think it may be more subtle this year and so harder to spot.

It will depend on viewing conditions, seeing, and also collimating and cooling for newts/ maks.

Last point, which programme are you using to get the timings for GRS transits? Stellarium can be incorrect if the parameter for the GRS location is not updated. Sky & Telescope have accurate predictions, or search for Jupiter 2.0 which is a useful predictor programme for moon/shadow transits plus GRS

Keep trying!! You'll get it sooner or later

Cheers

Stu

I agree with Stu. You are doing everything right and perhaps are just not lucky with timings. the Sky&Telescope site was accurate for me last night so will be next time. the good news it that there's one tonight just as it gets properly dark although the fact it will still be low might not help.

12(MM)/11(DD)/2012(YYYY) @ 17:57 UT from http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/objects/planets/3304091.html?page=1&c=y

and also 12/12/2012 @ 23:44 UT which will be better still

note that the time given is when the GRS will be central so you'll see it approx an hour either side as it comes and then goes around the limbs. good luck!

Which scope do you have Daz, can't seem to see.

It should be viewable with most scopes, I've seen with a 66mm refractor before, though I think it may be more subtle this year and so harder to spot.

It will depend on viewing conditions, seeing, and also collimating and cooling for newts/ maks.

Last point, which programme are you using to get the timings for GRS transits? Stellarium can be incorrect if the parameter for the GRS location is not updated. Sky & Telescope have accurate predictions, or search for Jupiter 2.0 which is a useful predictor programme for moon/shadow transits plus GRS

Keep trying!! You'll get it sooner or later

Cheers

Stu

Hi Stu,

I'm using a Celestron 130eq, and yes, I've beem using Stellarium.

Doh!!!!

I'll take a look at Sky & Telescope, thanks for the the heads up.

D.C

Well I'm sure you'll see it with that if conditions are right. I think the Jupiter 2.0 programme which you can find on the web is probably the most reliable, or the Sky & Telescope tables

Good luck

Stu

Archived