big hi to all

nptncodge

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thanks for receiving me,nice friendly site, i really started on the basics,i found it far too easy to get lost in the vastness of it all,both me and my other half wish to learn a whole lot more, she has exellent vision (hawk eye i call her)which helps a lot, i have a 80mm st skywatcher, and a 120mm st both refractors, apart from trying to veiw the most prominent stuff,jupiter,the moon, ect , is it best to find the easier objects like double stars, for instance, i only found out last nite that there are two stars or apparently three in the bend of the handle in the big dipper, also looking forward for tips on getting the best out of my telescopes, and maybe one day upgrading to a better one for astro photos, cheers

thanks for receiving me,nice friendly site, i really started on the basics,i found it far too easy to get lost in the vastness of it all,both me and my other half wish to learn a whole lot more, she has exellent vision (hawk eye i call her)which helps a lot, i have a 80mm st skywatcher, and a 120mm st both refractors, apart from trying to veiw the most prominent stuff,jupiter,the moon, ect , is it best to find the easier objects like double stars, for instance, i only found out last nite that there are two stars or apparently three in the bend of the handle in the big dipper, also looking forward for tips on getting the best out of my telescopes, and maybe one day upgrading to a better one for astro photos, cheers

Welcome mate!

I think that's your best plan. Start off with the more easier objects to find. That way, you learn your way around the sky without getting disheartened because you can't see anything.

Keep at it and good luck!

Tom.

To provide some immediate help, if you have not already done so, the free program Stellarium is available to help you navigate the Night sky, you might also like to invest in a copy of TL@O which is very popular in assisting those starting out, as a guide for what to look at. If your mount is not of the GOTO variety then perhaps a s/h copy of Star Hopping by Robert Garfinkle can be obtained for a few pounds and is worth every penny, as like TL@O it will lead you through the Constellations with very detailed information on what can be found and how to arrive at it. Your good wife, it appears, seems to be blessed with good eyesight, if you can observe from a very dark site, ask her if she can split the pair of stars you have already mentioned in the bend of the handle of the Big Dipper ( Ursae Majoris ) Alcor ( 80 UMa) sits above ( North ) and to the left ( West ) of the blue- white star ( 79 Zeta UMa ) I have read that American Indians used the ability to see these stars as a test for a warriors eyesight. Fascinating stuff the subject of Astronomy, enjoy :)

John.

Archived