Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Weather grump

The Warthog

I was sure my clear sky clock said that I would be having clear skies tonight, earlier, but now it's telling me we're going to have clouds for the foreseeable future. It's also gotten cool, down to about 15 and going down to 5, but I had hoped to catch a few clusters during new moon.

The warm weather is over for the year, I guess.

Oh, well...

Mine looks a bit 'iffy' tonight.. might be good enough to pop out with the grab'n'go, though. Tomorrow looks better (if it holds).

The weather's been weird this week. On Sunday we hit a record 85°F, and today's high was 44°F. At least we've been getting some badly needed rain. :D

Bad up in Scotland too.

Metcheck has been pretty wide of the mark recently on the astro forecasts.

Loch Doon was supposed to be 30% cloud but is actually 100%

Glad I phoned before setting off. Feel sorry for those that drove down though. :D

My other gripe about Metcheck is waiting 6 hours between updates!

Gah weather!

Paul

Well, I popped out with the f/5 80ST and the sky wasn't partly cloudy as predicted.. it was totally clear and stayed that way for the entire three hour session. :D A nice surprise, but a bit frustrating.

Had I known all of the predictions would be wrong, I'd have set up the big scope when there was time to do it (prior to sunset). Amateurs have to be flexible though, so I took advantage of the situation by sketching some targets that are too large for the f/10 8"SCT. :lol:

Hi. Carol. I love your expression "Just Popped Out" :D, I have just spent a very pleasant time perusing your images and sketches. I have to confess to not being aware of the links to them in your sig. They should be a bit more prominent, and I guess that is probably due to a little modesty on your part. It was a bit more than pleasant, because I was astonished at the amount of time you must have put in over the years, accumulating this wonderful array of diverse imagery. I loved all of it, but I am particularly taken with the Lunar and Auroral pictures. They are simply captivating, and you are to be congratulated on your undoubted devotion to what you do.

Well done, and may you continue producing many more in the future for others to enjoy.

Best wishes.

Ron. :lol:

I was celebrating my wife's birthday last night, and was in no shape to get the scope out when I took the dog out about midnight, but the night had turned partly cloudy, and there were som nice big areas of sky with no cloud in them. I'd have been risking my life to start up with the scope, so I waited until the dog was ready to go back in, and took the wiser course.

The sky appeared very dark, and the stars very bright. I didn't seem to be able to see any more stars than usual, though. I have often wondered if the darkness of the sky on nights like this is due to contrast with the brightness of the clouds, or if the clouds have sucked up all the moisture and haze in the air, and given us a better view.

I was celebrating my wife's birthday last night, and was in no shape to get the scope out when I took the dog out about midnight, but the night had turned partly cloudy, and there were som nice big areas of sky with no cloud in them. I'd have been risking my life to start up with the scope, so I waited until the dog was ready to go back in, and took the wiser course.

The sky appeared very dark, and the stars very bright. I didn't seem to be able to see any more stars than usual, though. I have often wondered if the darkness of the sky on nights like this is due to contrast with the brightness of the clouds, or if the clouds have sucked up all the moisture and haze in the air, and given us a better view.

Wise decision WH, especially if you had been partaking of the amber nectar.Nice that you remembered the dog needed the last walk of the day too.

Please convey a belated birthday greeting to your good lady from all of on SGL. I don't think anyone will mind me speaking on their behalf.

Happy Birthday Mrs WH.

:flower: :flower: :occasion4: :occasion4: :wav:

Happy (belated) Birthday, Mrs WH!

:occasion4: :occasion6: :occasion5: :occasion9: :occasion2: :occasion1:

Mr. WH :lol:, I've noticed that the openings in the clouds always look black as coal, but I'm not sure if they're actually cleaner or just look that way by comparison. :D

Ron, thank you so much! I'm glad they made you smile. :lol:

Environment Canada keeps moving the clear weather down the calendar. Yesterday, they predicted clear weather for Saturday and Sunday, but today they are predicting it for Sunday and Monday. Probably tomorrow it will be rain all along.

Archived