SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

NexStar 5 SE or ETX 125?

Hello scope experts, If you had to choose between the Celestron NexStar 5 SE or Meade ETX 125PE what would it be? The Celestron seems a bit less expensive but the ETX has a table tripod option that would come in handy if you don’t want to hassle with the tirpod. Is there table top tripod available for the NextStar? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi,

I've owned a Nexstar 5 (not the SE version) and I liked it a lot. Personally, if I could afford the extra for the Meade 125, I would buy a Nexstar 6 SE which is reputed to be a great little scope and only £100 more than the 5. On my Nexstar 5 you could remove the tripod legs an sit the GOTO base / fork / tube assembly on a firm table instead. Not sure if the SE range can do this ?.

John

I`ve been burned a few times with Meade kit (EXT90 went pop 2 weeks after I sold it to another SGL member, 2 meade illumated reticules broke in the space of 3 weeks, totally fubarred Meade 6.3 fiocal reducer), so I may be a little biased.... I`d get the 6SE if you can afford the extra, you wont regret it.

Hi,

I ought to point that I'm no 'scope expert, but I've had a 6SE for 6 months or so and I can heartily recommend it. I managed to get mine second-hand, in new condition, and it has not disappointed.

The light gathering power of a 6" over a 5", and the more stable mount is well worth it in my book.... plus the Celestron alignment procedure is more user frindly than Meade's.

You could table top the 6SE mount but I've only seen one for sale without it's tripod as they are bundled from Celestron. I would look for one that comes with it's tripod as it is the more stable option IMO.

Happy hunting!

Hugh

I've got a ETX 125 and a celestron Nexstar 8GPS (the big fork mount one). No contest in my view - go celestron! The ETX 125 is just not up to the job in my view - optics are fine, but its badly let down by the mechanics and electronics, which are not robust enough to reliably handle the scope. The celestron just does what its supposed to do, effortlessly.

Helen

In the interest of balance... :D

I've had numerous ETX's over the years and have had few issues with them. Nice optics, and once you're used to the autostar, aligning it is simple.

Do lots of research, and make an informed choice.

Good luck!

I had an ETX 125 and it was, to put it bluntly, Rubbish. On the other hand I've had two Celestrons, the 102 SLT and now my C8 and they've both been fantastic.

Meade? :nono:

Celestron? :D

BTW How come people like that Rush song Cygnus X1 so much? I prefer "Passage to Bankok" although that prob'ly wouldn't make a great username. :lol:

Hello scope experts, If you had to choose between the Celestron NexStar 5 SE or Meade ETX 125PE what would it be? The Celestron seems a bit less expensive but the ETX has a table tripod option that would come in handy if you don’t want to hassle with the tirpod. Is there table top tripod available for the NextStar? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

You can use the SE models without the tripod on a flat surface as the AZ mount has 3 rubber 'feet'. If you can afford the ETX go for the 6SE!!!

Archived