Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dropped eyepiece

Take it out immediately. If the eyepiece wasn't sealed and water got inside, I would put the eyepiece to soak in distilled water several times to dilute and remove any dirty water from the bucket. Then drain the eyepiece and leave it to dry in an airing cupboard. Hopefully the distilled water bath would flush out the bucket water, and won't leave a residue when the distilled water evaporates.

However, be prepared for a total lost or stripping the eyepiece for a deep clean.

Suspect they are not that water proof, if however no water got inside then dry it (obviously) and clean the top and bottom lens surface.

If water is inside other then taking it apart I cannot think of anything, I would not like to pull one of them apart. It depends on whether or not water got in and if on drying out it leaves marks/deposits on any internal glass surface that makes the viewing unacceptable.

I am intrigued how/why you had a bucket of water under the eyepieces, concrete I can understand but a bucket of water I don't.

Ive got a table put my eyepiece case on put the eyepiece on there rolled off and the wife had left a bucket at the side and with all this rain it was filled with water as it was dark i didn't see it its a black bucket. Thankyou by the way for your advice.

That is really bad luck, but in strange accidents that must be a first, if your bucket was full of rain water, to all intents and purposes, there should be little or no no contamination from rain water, especially if the bucket was clean. If it were me I would be tempted to try the drying out process first, as the chances are if it was not in the water for very long, there may have been little water ingress, to re-soak the whole thing in distilled water may be a step too far, as I doubt that any microscopic particles that may have got in would be reluctant to come out anyway, the only answer after drying out, is if there is any deterioration in performance, would be a complete strip down and clean, if it was an expensive and favourite optic, FLO has someone in Scotland that services and cleans optics, if you give him a ring for the contact, should you do not want to attempt it yourself :)

John.

Just spoke to Alan at Sky's the Limit where i bought my BST from, what fantastic customer service he said try my eyepiece if there is anything in it send it back to him and he will take it apart and clean it for me no charge absolutely amazing.

Brilliant couldn't ask for more thank you every one who replied and a big thank you to Alan and Sky's the Limit, just have to wait now for clear night to check the eyepiece but at least i know i can get it fixed and back as new. This is why i have said this Forum is the best an most friendly ive ever joined.

As you say..........not as bad as you might think. At least the EP hit something soft (even if it was water). I would think (as others have said) a good clean off and drying periood should see it right. The only part i'd be worried about is the retaining rings on the glass lens itself. I dont know if they are coated to be waterproof. I'd imagine they are coated somewhat to be moisture proof.

Just spoke to Alan at Sky's the Limit where i bought my BST from, what fantastic customer service he said try my eyepiece if there is anything in it send it back to him and he will take it apart and clean it for me no charge absolutely amazing.

Sorry, i just read this. That is fantastic customer service. I'll add Sky's the Limit to my list of excellent retailers and customer care.

Sorry, i just read this. That is fantastic customer service. I'll add Sky's the Limit to my list of excellent retailers and customer care.

i know his reputation is good, but talk about above and beyond !!, legend.

Yep Alan is Fantastic, i always use skys the limit for everything astro i buy.

i know his reputation is good, but talk about above and beyond !!, legend.

I dont mean to name names (and i wont) but one person in particular from FLO has also gone above and beyond for me a couple of times.

Its so great to know that there are still retailers out there that are happy to go the extra mile for customers.

Sorry to hijack the thread, I recently found one of my eye peices (BST 8mm) was rattling when I shook it slightly. It has never been dropped or heavily handed.

Rob.

sometimes the top is loose on eyepieces ( not always the case) i read people use something like tooth pics to insert into the small holes to tighten the piece that sits under the cup.

found this- http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/123073-rattling-eyepiece-element-does-it-matter/page__hl__+rattling#entry1219317

sometimes the top is loose on eyepieces ( not always the case) i read people use something like tooth pics to insert into the small holes to tighten the piece that sits under the cup.

found this- http://stargazerslou...ng#entry1219317

Yes often the glass element can become loose and rattles. All it takes to cure it is a twist of the retaining rings with something as simple as a tooth pick. Rubber tiped tweezers also do the same job.

Archived