Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First look at Uranus

BWBlackett

Added another planet to my extensive list ( :D) last night - 6 now with my first sighting of Uranus.

It's took quite a bit of finding with my Dob, mainly because I was running backwards and forwards into the house to check it's location, in Stellarium, relative to the stars I could see in my eyepiece. Finally managed to track it down after about 20mins.

It looked decidedly blue in colour, and even at x375 very small, I thought I could see a hint of a phase but that may just have been poor seeing.

I've now seen Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn & Uranus, still saving my pennies for Mr Branson so I can see Earth.

Brian.

I saw Uranus for the first time last week too - took a while, and had to take my laptop outside to run Stellarium to help! :lol:

At 100x it was obviously not a star - just a tiny hint of being bigger than a point of light, and definitely blue in colour.

Very satisfying to locate it in the end! I'd love to see Neptune, but I don't think my scope is big enough, and its too low down in the LP. :D

Trev

Well done! I haven't seen Mercury or Mars yet. I am concentrating on Neptune for now because it's more "advanced" (further west) and will be gone sooner. Uranus should be visible with the naked eye on a good night (provided you know exactly where to look). There's 3 close stars in an arc and a kind of trapezium above them. Uranus is one of the trapezium ones. I did manage to see Neptune in the Bresser bins. What a fantastic investment for £9.99. That has to be Product Of The Year.

Just Neptune and Earth left for me too :lol:

I'm yet to try Uranus or Neptune, I hope to get round to it this weekend. I have seen Earth tho.. and got some AMAZING detail to a level like no other object... can even see footprints! Don't even need a scope either... just look down or horizontal. :D

Archived