Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Visual targets for a short tube 80mm refractor

Hello again everyone :) I was wondering if someone would be kind enough to list some visual targets that would be good through a 80mm short tube refractor. I can't find such a list anywhere so thought it would be a good reference thread for new starters with fast telescopes.

Any input greatly appreciated :)

Thanks

Not a specific lis as such but try all the open and globular clusters in the Messier list - simple way to get them is to visit Wikipedia List of Messier Objects then click on Object Type and it reorders by type, the first 2 section I get are Globular Clusters and Open Clusters. As an estimate about 60-70 there.

Ignore the Galaxies, and Nebula as they will be too faint.

After that try this list:

Coloured Doubles

Not sure how many you will seperate so check the Separation column for the wider ones. Looks like 40 there so you should get say half.

After that the binocular objects of the astro league:

Astro League

They have a few Binocular programs in there that should be suitable for the 80mm.

Print a couple off and work through the program.

I'm sure you'll find this site handy. And if you look about this site, I'm sure you'll find some great information.

Other than that, if you haven't done so already, the following DSOs are worth checking out this month: M 44, NGC 884 & 869, M 35 and NGC 2168, NGC 2362, M 46, NGC 457, Hyades, M 36, 37, 38, M 42, M 1, M 45, Jupiter. Apart from perhaps M1, all will be pretty impressive stuff in a small aperture OTA.

M45 will look brilliant in your scope. I'd imagine, depending on your EP, it'll fill the whole EP. Looks amazing through binos!

It's like it's set on a dark purple background with smaller stars all around and then the 7 main stars take centre stage! It looks fake tbh! Haha give it a go. It's just NE/NNE of Jupiter! (Up here anyway)

Let us know what you think!

Tom.

Hi David, good advice already given. Loads to see with your scope even from a town location. If you can get to a dark site, then that will increase your list of targets to galaxies & nebulae.

M81 & 82 will be nice, M31 & 32 with perhaps M110. Have a look for M94, a surprisingly bright galaxy.

Although not best suited for double stars and planets, a short achro can give good views of these if the magnification is kept in check, when I had a scope like this it was acceptable up 80-100x, a bit of false colour can be lived with, I learned to ignore it and enjoy the view.

The advice to go for binocular objects is a good one.

Happy viewing :smiley: Ed.

Turn Left at Orion (book) is a great place to start - list interesting objects by season and is aimed at small telescope users.

Shows you how to find them via star hopping and what to expect to see in the finder scope and the eyepiece.

Hope this helps

Paul

From a dark site any of the Messiers. I have an 80mm short-tube refractor as a travel scope and I used it to get all the most southerly Messiers during holidays in southern Europe and also used it to get Caldwells - I got about as far down the list as Omega Centauri (from the Canaries) with it. Not great for planets though I did view Mars at opposition and could see the polar caps. Binocular objects make a good start but you're not limited to them as higher power will bring many more objects into view. I use mine on a camera tripod with a slow-motion head and can go up to about x100. If you remove the dewshield then it's even more compact for travel.

Archived