SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Onion ring artefact elimination with DFK21

Hello all,

I occasionally get these artfacts with my DFK21. I'm not sure what causes them and I can't really find an explanation on here.

The other night I captured many avis using either YUY2/RGB24 30fps or in RAW mode using Y800/Y800 60fps.

Almost all of the YUY2/RGB24 avis resulted in onion rings however none of the Y800/Y800 avis produced the ring artefacts.

So I think I'll capture in Y800/Y800 format from now on. Just thought I'd mention it.

Do we know what causes these?

With my SPC900 I have always associated "onion rings" with insufficient gain too. At 30fps presumably the sensor is getting twice as much light as at 60fps, so unless you're also restricting the exposure time to the same in both cases, perhaps you need to compensate for the reduced light by pushing the gain up.

James

I had exposure settings the same for each I think.

I think the best option is either to capture lots of avis using all diffferent gain and gamma and exposure settings.... or process quickly after each capture to check..... it'll be mighty annoying if you spend a whole evening capturing a load of avis all producing onion rings

Sam

Archived