SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

My first real attempt

Hello All

I managed to have a first attempt at viewing the night sky with my Heritage 130P.

I managed to get a good view of jupiter full shape but no real colour/detail also the 4 moons. I will add at this stage i still don't own any x2 or 3x barlow yet so i think i am stuggling on the distance of my current eps. I switched to the 10mm standard lens and could see nothing but the little circle on the prim mirror.

I used the scope on the moon last night and had perfect views with my adjustable eps and still to test the 10mm. I just think i am having all the typical newbie problems :)

I am looking at some barlows now is there any recommended for the heritage 130p?

Any help would be great

Chris

Hey mate, it's great being a newbie eh? ;) iv got a revelation astro 2x barlow and its great for the money, I'd fully recommend it anyway! I'm sure a more experienced member then myself will suggest others for a similar budget. :)

Thanks Biigazza :) yep it's great, my misses thinks it's a great hobby until tonight when i started using random bits of funiture to hold the scope lol.

I check out the revelation barlow as i have heard the standard SW barlows are not so good.

part 2

I managed to get out for a 2nd attempt and still struggling with the 10mm ep. Other the other hand i did get to see the moon and got some pics with my 10mp camera straight on the lens no barlow. Here is 1 below ( best one lol )

77038_10151343682590390_617861091_n.jpg

part 2

I managed to get out for a 2nd attempt and still struggling with the 10mm ep. Other the other hand i did get to see the moon and got some pics with my 10mp camera straight on the lens no barlow. Here is 1 below ( best one lol )

77038_10151343682590390_617861091_n.jpg

Nice pic mate, it's not easy taking a-focal shots through a higher power EP!

I switched to the 10mm standard lens and could see nothing but the little circle on the prim mirror.

Chris

This sounds like a focus problem, with higher power (shorter focal length) eyepieces good focus is crucial. To achieve focus rack the focus tube right in and very slowly move the tube out. This should cure your problem, you may not hit the sweet spot straight away but find you need to go back and forward as slowly as you can.

Good luck.

Thanks for the nice comments from @ catweazel and RobP :D, @Astro imp thanks for the tip i give it a go tonight :)

I think i am lucky as my street has really low lighting and after midnight there are not many house lights on, I am sure the reason is all my neighbors seem to be over 100 years old lol.

I have a Skywatcher 130p, so a similar scope, I found that using the supplied 25mm eyepiece and 2x barlow gave me a pretty decent view of jupiter, I could make out colour bands and 4 moons, moving to the 10mm eyepiece I found was pushing it a little, just wasn't as clear, may just be that the standard eyepieces aren't the best.

I need to get a few bits as bought the scope 2nd hand from ebay and come with a 10mm ep and a adjustable ep 8-24.

I have been told by my misses that i am not aloud to buy anything yet !!!!

I ask why and she said " you never know what santa might bring you" so i have left a few websites open with what i want just incase :) . Top of the list is the Revelation Astro 2.5x Barlow followed by some basics like red led torch, books etc.

I own a Heritage 130p. Don't forget that you can also plonk it on the floor when you get fed-up of using furniture (I find a Breakfast Bar Stool to be pretty good ;-)) I also own a SW Deluxe 2X Barlow, which I can thoroughly recommend. Other members on this forum seem to have quite a liking for TAL kit.

I can also recommend the SW Super Plossl EPs as an upgrade to the standard ones if money's a bit tight.

I need to get a few bits as bought the scope 2nd hand from ebay and come with a 10mm ep and a adjustable ep 8-24.

I have been told by my misses that i am not aloud to buy anything yet !!!!

I ask why and she said " you never know what santa might bring you" so i have left a few websites open with what i want just incase smile.gif . Top of the list is the Revelation Astro 2.5x Barlow followed by some basics like red led torch, books etc.

Hi, I bought the Skywatcher 130m a couple of months ago and found that the 25mm EP was spot on but the 10mm awful. I looked around for advice & found out that its usually the case that the higher mag stock EP's tend to be a bit naff & if u can afford it go 4 a better one. After HOURS of research I opted for a Meade 5000 HD-60 9mm, it was 86quid (mid range) but money VERY well spent, the fov is 60 degrees and with very good eye relief. When I got to see Jupiter with it it was as if I was looking through a different scope, the cloud bands came thru well as did a small amount of colour (creams & browns). With that in mind I really would consider up-grading your 10mm, you'll be very happy with the results. :smiley:

Archived