Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sunlight problem??

I was up early'ish' this morning hoping for a glimpse of Saturn for the first time, the clouds were quite heavy but with the odd gaps, as it got later Saturn finally came thru & I got her in2 view. I really struggled with focus ( even at 25mm) as there seemed to be alot of 'colour' around it, I'm very knew to this and was wondering if this had anything to do with the encroaching daylight ( the sky was turning light blue by then) or if it a problem with my optics?? I hope it's the former!! :eek: Any advice please?? Btw I must add that on a night, focusing on say, Jupiter I have no such problem.

When it is low in the sky, atmospheric refraction causes a blue colour fringe on one side, and a red on the other. This is probably what you are seeing.

Ahh, thanks Micheal, thats exactly how it looked. Was worried it could be an optical problem, its the first time i'v observed when the suns coming up (Apart from solar observing that is) :laugh:

Archived